Cubase Pro 8.5-Roland TD-50 map template

Hello Everyone,
Apologies if the tone of this message is negative. I don’t have a strong enough word to describe how frustrated I am with the problems I’ve had with the Cubase program including trying to set-up my Roland TD-50 to record MIDI on separate tracks in Cubase and save it as a template. I’ve been out of music for 20 years. I’m new to cubase, MIDI and E-drums. I’ve scoured manuals, YouTube, Forums, customer support, talked to other Cubase users, etc. and I cannot figure this out. **Does anyone have a Cubase 8.5 Pro template which would have the mapping of the Roland TD-50 module, to record multiple MIDI channels on separate tracks such as:

Track 1 = Channel 1 = Kick
Track 2 = Channel 2 = Snare rim & head
Track 3 = Channel 3 = Tom 1 & 2 rims and heads
Track 4 = Channel 4 = Tom 3 & 4 rims and heads
Etc.

I think I want to end up using EZDrummer 2 that I purchased but if I understand correctly, that program doesn’t support multi-zone pads except the snare and ride so my dual zone cymbals would only have one zone. Is that correct?
That’s not something I want to give up. So, I’ve tried to “simply” start with just the TD-50 module, Cubase and Groove Agent SE (Drinking Habits kit). I have 6 drums and 7 cymbals (including counting the hats as 1 cymbal). So, I have 13 multi-zone pads.

According to Roland, all TD-50 MIDI channels (16 of them), by default, are set to “Global” which is MIDI channel 10. They also say the module can use USB to output 10 Audio channels, 16 MIDI channels or both at the same time. I am unsure of the MIDI cable capabilities but I’m assuming they at least output the 16 MIDI channels.

I am connecting the TD-50 module to the UR44 via MIDI cable, then UR44 to computer via USB. I have not tested Roland’s comments that I could bypass the UR44 and use USB only.

This is what I have done because I think it’s right, but please correct me if I’m wrong:

In the Roland module, for a custom user kit, mapped MIDI channels as described above:
Channel 1 = Kick
Channel 2 = Snare rim & head
Channel 3 = Tom 1 & 2 rims and heads
Channel 4 = Tom 3 & 4 rims and heads
Etc.

In Cubase, opened the Empty template
Added a VST rack instrument of Groove Agent SE
Chose the kit Drinking Habits. I haven’t gone through all kits to see if there is a better one. But this kit will require a lot of MIDI note changes to play “correct” sounds. I would rather have a kit that would not require all of that extra work.
I selected 16 VST instrument outputs knowing I won’t use them all.
This is where I’m stuck.

It seems I can only choose one MIDI channel for this VST rack instrument? The channel is 1 by default so I get a signal from the kick on the channel 1 track of the 16 outputs. From what I have read, I would have to add one VST rack instrument (to also get a MIDI track) for each MIDI channel I am using in the Roland module.

I’ll ask again, does anyone have a Cubase 8.5 Pro template which would have the mapping of the Roland TD-50 module, to record multiple MIDI channels on separate tracks? Or, can anyone please help me by outlining a process of how to make one?

When this is finally working, I will post my template and instructions for making it to help others. I cannot find the words to thank you in advance in a large enough way.

Do you need to have the midi on separate channels?