Cubase Pro 8 - POD HD500X

This one if for the guitar players, and please forgive the noob question… I have a Steinberg UR44 interface and a POD HD500X multieffects processor for guitar. What is the standard setup insofar as physical connections and within Cubase? This is the extent of what I know, and it isn’t much at this point:

1. I assume that the guitar plugs into one of the mic/hi-z jacks in the front panel
  2. I need an audio track in my Cubase project

Many thanks in advance!

You can use your HD500 as an audio interface and record direct instead. That way you avoid extra A/D and D/A conversions. You’ll need to install the POD HD500 driver on your computer and then select it as your interface in Cubase (just the way you do with your Steinberg UR44).

HTH

Drivers installed along with all of the POD HD500X tools… What kind of track is needed to record the guitar (audio, VST, MIDI)? For this particular song, I have tracks using an external synth and various VTSs with their own instrument tracks (Halion, Padshop, Groove Agent). I monitor all of the audio through the UR44.

You’ll probably want an Audio track, with inputs set to the corresponding output on the HD500. Check the manual for more detail. I’m sure it goes more into detail as to hot to set this up.

Good luck!

Hi

I use Boss ME 25, which is a similar multi effect unit to yours, although much cheaper.

I plug the guitar into Boss and then use headphone output of the unit connected to inputs 3/4 or 5/6 on the UR 44.

Reason for using headphone out is because I want to use the built in amp simulator, which doesn’t turn on when using line out. Probably expects to be connected to a real amp when using line out.

I don’t use inputs 1 and 2 on the UR 44, because the output of Boss unit is not a Hi Z guitar signal, just line level.

In Cubase I use stereo track. Although guitar itself is mono, once you use any modulation or delay effect the output of your unit will be stereo.

If its just one person recording, then use the UR44 for all tracks other than guitars and bass (if using a real bass).
Then when you record a guitar or bass part, plug your headphones or monitor into the POD and your guitar or bass into the POD. Make sure you have previously connect the POD to your computer via the USB and the drivers are installed.
Change your audio device in cubase to the POD and you are ready to record with zero latency. This works very well - I do it all the time. You can adjust the monitor mix coming into the POD to balance your instrument level verse the mix level.

If you are using a Mac, then your can use both the UR44 and POD audio devices at the same time (aggregated device) but I have never tried myself and there will likely be some latency to deal with.

I actually just use the analog OUTS on my POD and send it to the analog INS on my audio interface. Yeah that does introduce an extra D/A, A/D pair into my signal chain - but I can’t really hear any difference and don’t feel compelled to keep the entire signal chain digital just “because.” The advantage of doing this (for me) is that I don’t need to dink around switching the audio interface in Cubase. It also lets me listen via my studio monitors instead of headphones - which I find makes it easier to play. It’s also easier to safely crank it on speakers than phones. It’s all preference but I find the combo of making it easier to play & less work pretty compelling.

I’d suggest the OP tries both approaches and see what works best for them.

If only Steinberg let us use two interfaces at the same time it would be the best of all worlds.

I use a different modeler (AxeFx 2) and also record analog through my board. I tried digital as well and it just sounded flatter, less full. It does add one additional AD/DA, but both of my units’ converters are good quality.
Cheers,
Benji

Thanks to all who contributed their advice! I think the most straightforward approach for me will be: guitar plugged into the POD —> send signal via L/R out —> UR44 5/6 line in. Then create a stereo track in my project to receive the guitar audio. Does that sound correct?

Yes that is the correct signal path if you want to set it up like islandmusicpro & I have.