Cubase Pro v8.02 32bit hangs on WaveShell-VST3 9.2.vst3, W7

Hi Guys,

So I’m both a PC and Mac user. I have Cubase 8.02 running on my Macbook smoothly.

However, I have just installed it on my main studio machine which happens to be a PC. Outside of the odd crash on some older plugins, I’ve just restarted it again and it’s skipped over scanning that plugin and carried on it’s merry way until it hits the Waves vst3 file (WaveShell-VST3 9.2.vst3) and then hangs at ‘Intializing Cubase’. Just to be sure that it wasn’t configuring things still, I walked away from my computer for a good couple of hours and it was still hanging on that particular file. Windows 7 won’t allow me to close the window or give indications that it’s crashed, so I have to do a CTRL+ALT+Delete to kill the Cubase8.exe process.

Since I really don’t care if I use the vst3 version of Waves, I went ahead and deleted it from all known vst3 locations on my computer. FYI, I’m running the 32 bit version of Cubase 8. Somehow, when Cubase opens it’s still scanning this ghost WaveShell-VST3 9.2.vst3 file. I have searched my C: drive high and low for that file and there’s nothing there as far as I can tell.

Can anyone tell me what’s going on here? Any ideas where it’s finding this mysterious WaveShell-VST3 9.2.vst3 file from? I’ve pointed Cubase to scan my custom directory of VST2 files, but that’s the only changes I’ve made so far.

It booted fine before I pointed it to that directory.

Interestingly, now it seems to be hanging on BAIOS as well… HELP!

Windows 7 64bit, AMD FX 6300 6 Core Processor 3.50 GHz, 16 GB RAM
Steinberg Cubase v8.02 32bit

Hi,

Does it make any sense to use 32-bit Cubase on your 64-bit system with 16GB of RAM?

I would recommend to use 64-bit Cubase, and avoid a loading of old unsupported plug-ins, older than VST 2.4, if there is any.

I unfortunately am tied to using a lot of legacy plugins that I just adore too much not to make the switch over to. I was under the understanding that 64 bit Cubase doesn’t support 32 bit plugins, or am I incorrect?

Hi,

It is possible to use 32-bit plg-ins in 64-bit Cubase. There is the VSTBridge, which does the job. But it’s recommended to use 64-bit plug-ins, which is much more stable, and efficient.

You can use older 32bit plugins quite well in Cubase x64 using ‘jBridge’, in my experience much better than Cubase’s VSTBridge. I been using that for sometime running a couple of old VSTis, Native instruments B4 II and Vapor. It is a little tricky to set up but does work.

try deleting the ingoer registry in your reg edit… google it

Completely deinstall, run ccleaner, re-install now with administrator privileges. Waves is running problemless in 32 bit and 64 bit configurations at my machines.

By the way it’s very stable to have a windows 64 bit installation with cubase 32 bit installed, works very solid and stable, you even can install the 64 bit version of cubase sideways. It’s indeed a waiste of 12 GB memory when doing it the way you do. I’ve even read reports users claiming that running cubase 32 bit on windows 64 was more stable then 32 bit on 32 bit.

Well whatever the issue was, it seems to have mysteriously disappeared.

Everything is up and runing as it should be.

As for jBridge, I’m familiar with it but it seems kind of a hassle when things are working as I require them to.