Cubase randomly failing and refusing to start

Hello,

So Cubase 12 Pro, Windows 10 Pro, i7-3820, 32 GB DDR3 RAM, Sabertootth X79 Motherboard.

Yesterday Cubase started to behave oddly, in that it would not exit, just hang continuously. It was randomly bringing up the “Device failed to register” for my Roland Rubix44, this despite picking the “activate every time” (not exactly that) and moving the handling of the sound away from Outputs and into Control Room.

Today I went to start Cubase and it hung for 10 minutes then failed with a license check - license not found error. I tried to start Steinberg Download Manager thinking this may kick the license check process into touch but that failed as well with a “license service” error suggesting I restart the PC.

After restart, Cubase would not start just hung again. I tried once more and lo and behold, it opened, then after 2 minutes froze for around 30 seconds, unlocked for 15 then hard locked showing the timer icon and I had to kill the 3 Cubase Processes via Task Manager after 20 minutes.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 12:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase12

Nuendo 12:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo12

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

2 Likes

I have and am familiar with ProcDump it is running now , should I DM you the resultant file or post it here?

Also uploading Cubase’s own error logs, I will post them in the other discussion - my opologies for double posting.

Thank you for you assistance, it is gratefully received.

The link to the zipped dump:

Sorry for the delay.

Hi,

The issue is either in AutoTune:

ntdll!NtWaitForSingleObject+0x14
KERNELBASE!WaitForSingleObjectEx+0x8e
Auto_Tune_Pro+0x2838a77

The issue might be graphics related, there is the NVIDIA driver and MessageBus.dll (the driver call is recursive, so the hang may actually happen there).

Please try this:

• Download the latest Studio driver version from here. If there is no Studio driver for your graphic card, use the one, which is available and continue with the same steps bellow.
  • Disconnect the computer from the Internet to make sure Windows will not download and install its own graphic driver.
  • Uninstall the NVIDIA driver.
  • Restart computer.
  • Start the NVIDIA driver installation (as administrator).
  • Don’t install the whole package, use the Custom (Advanced) settings.
  • Disable everything (don’t install NVIDIA Experience, PhysX, etc.), keep just the video driver enabled.
  • Connect your computer to the internet.

Thanks for your prompt reply, apologies for my late one (health). I already use the most up to date studio driver, should I just disable all the components other than the driver, or uninstall, and reinstall selectively?

Hi,

Hopefully disabling the components should work too.

OK, I just decided to go the whole hog and uninstall then re-install only the graphics drivers as there was a great deal of NVidia junk (3 restarts worth).

Tried two startups and close downs - seems OK, just getting a weird thing where my Stereo Out is showing max level before I even press play?

It cleared after about 45 seconds and dropped back to correct levels. Did this both times I opened the project.

If I get any further issues with the original problem, should I just add to this thread or start a new one? Forum usage is not my strong point and learning the rules as I go.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Hi,

Weired.

In this case, continue in this thread, please.

Thanks, realised my mistake - had loop back enabled which was playing havoc. Never normally use it and it is a switch on the back of the interface (thanks Roland).

I also had a problem with the graphics drivers like you, just need to clean up there. Then do a reboot and everything should work in such a case, at least for me such actions proved to be effective, and allowed to deal with such a problem.

1 Like