Cubase real-time DSP meter maxing out at idle

Just went from Mavericks to Sierra with a clean OS and program install. Now with a VERY modest project open (32 mono tracks with just channel strip EQ) the real-time DSP meter maxes out about every 10-20 seconds while Cubase is parked and not doing anything at all. With the buffer set to 32 samples the meter sits at about 15% but then maxes past 100%. At 64 samples it peaks at 60% every few seconds. My computer is on a 12 core MacPro 3.46 ghz with 16 gig of ram. Protools does not exhibit this behavior.

Any help would be appreciated

Robert

This happens in Cubase 9.5.41 AND 10.15 although it’s a little better in 10.15.

Running Sierra here and can affirm the same erratic behavior at times. You may want to try restarting the system as it has cleared the problem many times. No clue as to why Cubase seems to have this issue on Mac systems though

Here’s the list of trouble shooting things I’ve done that HAS NOT solved the problem.

Trashed preferences
Restart
Reset P Ram
Reset SMC
Removed all USB except for keyboard, mouse, dongles and USB to SSL Matrix Mixer
Disabled all networks
Tried all different VST Audio settings in Studio menu (ASIO guard and all the others on that page)
Selected the Mac internal Audio I/O in studio menus instead of Focusrite PCIeR Audio card

Any other suggestions folks??

I’d suggest going back to the basics then.
When you say “Clean Install” to Sierra, did you totally format (wipe out the drive) and reinstall the OS?
You have absolutely no VST instruments or anything else in your project except for 32 tracks with EQ?

I’m running a MacBook Pro with a 4-Core processor and though I’ve experienced the same issue; my system configuration is obviously different from yours. Anyway there have been many similar reports in general regarding 12-core processors.

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=90765

Steinberg has also posted some articles stating that their products may not yield the performance levels you’d expect with Multicore processors and particularly on Macs.

But what are your audio settings in Cubase and what version of Cubase are you running?
Did you have any signs of this issue prior to moving to Sierra?

I know you said you tried all the Audio settings but have you tried the following settings?

Activate ASIO-Guard - ON
Activate Multi-Processing - ON
ASIO Guard Level - HIGH
Try setting the Audio Processing Precision to 64-bit if you have the option

Lastly, what is the exact version of Cubase you’re on?

Clean install means reformat first. I tried the settings you great with no improvement. Cubase 9.5.41 and 10.0.15. Thanks

Ok, here’s the only thing that made a noticeable difference in the real-time DSP at low (32 and 64 samples) buffer settings for tracking. I still can’t track a full band (32 tracks) @ 32 samples but can reliably @ 64 samples. This is using Cubase 10.0.15 in Sierra in a MacPro 12 core 3.46ghz.

TRY SIGN OUT OF ICLOUD. THIS LOWERED REAL-TIME DSP USAGE ABOUT 20% AT LOW BUFFERS.

HERES ALL THE THINGS I TRIED THAT SEEMED TO MAKE NO NOTICABLE DIFFERENCE (perhaps it was so slight I couldn’t tell)


Trashed preferences
Restart
Reset P Ram
Reset SMC
Removed all USB except for keyboard, mouse, dongles and USB to SSL Matrix Mixer
Disabled all networks
Tried all different VST Audio settings in Studio menu (ASIO guard and all the others on that page)
Selected the Mac internal Audio I/O in studio menus instead of Focusrite PCIeR Audio card
Change check mail to manual
Deleted network printers
Turned off WiFi
Turned off printer sharing
Turned off Bluetooth
Disabled time sync and auto time zone
Disabled notifications
Turned off location services
Turned off Mission Controller hot keys
Removed FireWire and Bluetooth in Network Pref setting
Disabled Auto updates in App Store
Removed all unneeded Login items
Removed Startup items
Disconnected additional monitors

I hope this helps