Cubase release schedule

Roughly when will Cubase 13 be released? Not looking for an exact day, obviously. There were 2.5 years in between 11 and 12, whereas normally there is only 1. Are they going to be releasing a version only every 2.5 years now? Or was 12 just delayed because of covid?

There were just under 16 months between the release of Cubase 11 (mid November 2020) and Cubase 12 (beginning of April 2022). The delay was because of the transition to Steinberg Licensing - the new licensing system wasn’t available back in November and the decision was made, sensibly in my opinion, to use it first for a Dorico release, as Dorico has far fewer users than Cubase.

It is unclear what release pattern Steinberg will adopt in the future, though I would expect roughly annual releases. It might be that these now happen every April rather than every November - we will see!

3 Likes

What’s the matter? Cubase 12 is out for a few months and now the first folks are querying when 13 will be released? Calm down… :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

They are not going to say. You have to wait and see. A lot were caught out thinking 11.5 would be released in November last year.

In the past there was a quite steady release cycle of a major zero release and .5 release alternating every other year (so a new .0 roughly every 2 years). With 12 this was changed largely due to the change of the licensing system, so that is a different situation.

Maybe the previous general release cycle will be resumed, or they adjusted it for reasons - we do not know. This will not be made public beforehand I suppose - everything else is speculation.

I’d prefer longer release schedules, as long they work as they should.

And in between of them smaller “maintenance” updates with new fixes and features, released step by step. So instead of paying 50-100€ for every new big release, we would pay less for more frequent smaller releases and every 2-3 years there comes a major release (Somehow like Windows is dealing with their updates).

This way we avoid rather “big” issues, because there are not a lot updates realeased at once anymore.
It would be easier to see, which updates improved or even worsened the overall performance etc.

I think it is likely to stay on one pay update each year.

2 Likes

Quite awhile ago Steinberg posted a progress bar showing the state of development for the next version of Cubase. It did not show dates, just the stage of development- alpha, beta, release candidate, etc. It was helpful and it didn’t give away any company secrets. It must not have worked for Steinberg because they only did that once, but I thought it was a clever idea to help satisfy our curiosity.

Yeah , where is 13? Tired of old glitchy 12 :joy:

3 Likes

I just got my CB12 grace period upgrade from 11 working last month (May) with the considerable help of Steinberg support. I think there are still a lot of issues to be resolved with the change of licensing system for some users. Calm down please! Lets get the foundations right before rushing hastily to the future.

I got cb11 around july 2021 . After years of wanting it, a good tax return finally let me get it. Then not long after, v12 was released. I see by the posts, i’m way behind, but not everyone has the money to buy or upgrade. Now I see my dongle bassed system is pretty well doomed. If it breaks, I’m stuffed (which I thought when I bought cb11), but with the change of licensing, it seems I’m even more stuffed. Upgrade and pay more (another few years), or change to a free DAW. I’d love to upgrade, but we’ll see. Anyway, had my bit…

Hi David and welcome to the forums!

You will be able to keep using your Cubase 11 for as long as you like assuming your eLicenser dongle does not break.

If it breaks now you still stuffed as you would need to buy a new dongle.
Register your USB dongle with your MySteinberg account, In ths case you will at least have a chance for an update path beyond 2024.

If it helps, my dongles are 22 and 24 years old. And they still just work.

Thanks for your response guys. The last post was so long ago I didn’t really expect anything back, so thanks.
I saw a video on Youtube about the e-licenser service shutting down and it said once the service shuts, I won’t be able to register cb11 on another computer even if I have the dongle connected. Not that I want CB11 on multiple computers, but my current laptop I use it on will need to be replaced soon and if I won’t be able to get cb11 working on anything else, that would be an issue. My dongle is registered on MySteinberg account, but it’s the “at least you will Have A CHANCE for an update path” that is a bit concerning. The video on YouTube said that too, but if it doesn’t work out, it would mean having to purchase a full New Version of cb instead of being able to upgrade for cheaper. I use cb11 Pro and would only want to use a Pro version of cb, so the thought of having to purchase a new laptop, as well as a brand new cb doesn’t excite me. I guess I will have to upgrade to cb13 pro now so at least when I get a new laptop, I will be able to register it with cb13 pro and get on with my music. I guess I was hoping there was a way to convert my current e-licensing cb11 to the new licencing system so at least my original purchase would be safe, but I couldn’t find any thing on how to do it or if it was possible. If I’d waited a bit longer for cb12 to come out before purchasing cb, I guess I wouldn’t be having this concern… Anyway, it is what it is I guess. Bad timing on my part. Hopefully my laptop will last till I can affford to
upgrade or afford to purchase the new cb. It is a great DAW and they always improve it, so upgrading seams worth it, but if I have to buy brand new again, not sure I will.
Thanks again for your comments, First time I’ve been on a forum, so didn’t know what to expect. greatfull.
regards
David

You can upgrade. You don’t have to buy brand new. Even when the licensing servers go offline you can still install on another computer. I’ve done it many times. You literally install and plugin in the licencer. It will then work. It doesn’t need to go back to the servers for this.

At least until the elicenser itself breaks :slight_smile:

True but I’ve never had one break. It probably happens if you plug in and out a lot. Once mine was plugged in it stayed. I still have virtual guitar 2 which needs the elicencer (I use it with a wrapper as it’s 32bit) although I don’t tend to use it these days as at some point it will no longer work.

Thanks guys.
CB11 was my first experience with Dongle bassed tech, which I guess was good for their protction,
I did assume it meant that I owned my purchase, like we used to own old vesions of Adobe software. You bought the software outright and could just download it to a computer and get on with the music, Adobe’s newer licencing seems to mean unless you subscribe to a yearly fee, you will lose access to everyhing you’ve created. Our music and creativity. And at a price we almost used to buy/own the software for. At leat CB doesn’t apear to be going down that path so that is a plus.
Sometimes I think it was better in the past when I bought a 4 track recorder (LOL) and multiple instruments, and just created music instead of having to wory if other parties could stop that flow.
Your thoughts have helped, so thank you all.
I will upgrade to CB13 when I can, it seems a good update, and take it from there. If they go down the adobe path, who knows. Probably not worth it. These are suposed to be tools for creation, not associates. I wouldn’t buy a guitar and then expect to keep having to pay a license to keep playing it.
Sometimes it is good to get things out. This forum and your thoughts have helped. I should use them more.
Thanks again.