Cubase Score!

hi everyone,

I know Dorico is the new thing.

I just wanted to say that the score in Cubase is a masterpiece on its on!!

I can’t live without it and I hope Steinberg don’t even think of touching that feature.

I’m currently doing this major work and have thousands of score to prepare for the recording sessions (Full orchestra and Choir). Yes, little Cubase score is not only being the one used but it is doing the job greatly!

I’ve always used it. But this time I really needed to get a tough and big jog done. I never used the score editor at this depth of detail.

After a couple of days getting into the advance tricks and secrets I realize no dedicated Score editor could do the job as the way I am doing it with the score editor.

Seriously, congratulations to the team involved in the editor. It’s a powerful and rich feature many users do touch.

Alex

Amen!

Yes, contrary to what we often hear, the Score Editor is so intuitive and you can get great looking scores very quickly when you well learn how it works. And it’s only when you get into the details that you realize that it is indeed a “masterpiece”. :wink:

I totally agree with every word!

I dare say, with the right settings, Cubase makes 80% of the job for you.

and you well mentioned the " details". When I found the “Marker to Rehearsal marks” (or something like this), it blew my head off. Or adding note symbols in ghost parts, that replicate this tiring work automatically. Come on, this is incredible!

Nice to have someone to praise that beast with!

Couldn’t you please upload an example of the final result?

I’d be very glad to, sure. Let me just reach my deadline and I’ll post something.

It comes out as profissional as any other pro score editor. But within Cubase, which is a blessing (not to say one less software to purchase)

I also forgot to say something I’ve been using for a couple of months now.

My third monitor (in vertical position, for the scores) signal is split and the signal feeds my two studio rooms. This way musicians can play straight from the score editor. Great for many situations, mainly when you’re not arsed to print parts.

Agreed. I use it every day. I hope to God that SB wises up and figures out a way to integrate Dorico -into- Cubase. The integration is what makes ALL the difference.

Personally, I’m gonna be happy when I can seamlessly use Dorico in/with Cubase. It would be good if they keep the legacy editor too though.

well, the things are I fear for the score editor. SB is fully commited to Dorico. However, the nearset possible integration might be what we have now between Cubase and Halion: Edit in Halion editor button. Dorico and score editor have very different philosofies. I hope Micheal Michaelis team still have room to keep developing the score editor, although I have my doubts.

That’s one of the reason I opened this thread. To tell SB we care for the editor.

And just to provoke a little more conversation… (I’m a complete novice/hobbyist only, wrt notation.!).

You seem pretty happy with how things are.! What more would you say is needed/needs fixing(?), without requiring huge amounts of effort, engineering wise.? :slight_smile:

Credit to Steinberg for including the Score Editor, but what the industry really needs is a professional notation driven DAW. I’d love to see a pro level notation package like Sibelius or Dorico seamlessly integrated into a DAW. It’d be a real workflow time-saver.

Hey Puma, thanks for joining the thread.

Well, I guess there are many things, and I hope Steinberg keeps developing the score editor. Here are some:

1. An option to add a new track into an existing Layout. Say you have a full orchestra layout already set. But you want to include a Harp in there. This will be seen as a new layout, and you have to set the Layout design again. AFAIK one cannot do this right now

2. The editor in full screen on a monitor in vertical position hides some buttons off the screen.

3. some small bugs: I prefer to use number rehearsal marks. Here, the editor does not like it very much and sometimes they turn into letters. Solution: I stopped investigating why this was happening and am using letters instead. No biggy.

4. Sometimes, in the turn of a page, a note may be missing if it is not fully quantized. Solution: quantize that specific note.

I agree. That’s why I quit standalone score editors a long time ago and adopted the score editor. I was using Sibelius in its early version. The integration of the score editor within Cubase is worth it.

Unfortunatelly, Dorico doesn’t seem to have been built with this integration in mind and I assume it would be quite hard to accomplish this integration.

Steinberg might have two options: bring something from Dorico into the score editor, or bring something from Cubase into Dorico

btw, I’m learning some tricks and would love if anyone mind sharing some tricks of their own in here.

I too love the Cubase Score integration. While it’s not an engraver’s dream…it’s really good at a lot of things!

When it comes to working with percussion stuff, nothing else can touch it in terms of work-flow. Diamond Editor, extremely versatile drum mapping, easy assignment to stave position and note shape, ease of re-routing pieces to any plugin/channel etc…

I do hope the Dorico dev team are taking notes on how CuBase handles percussion…and I hope they integrate a more orchestral oriented form of Groove Agent that’s as easy to map out and get onto a stave as it is in CuBase!

I also love the score editor. I don’t use it for fully engraved charts or anything, and I think it would be tough to get it to compete with something that specializes in that, but it works great for my needs-to print out charts of specific parts for songs for band members to learn. It’s so much faster and more convenient that trying to use a third party tool!

I expect eventually Dorico will take over, but I certainly hope that is long after they have managed to get it fully integrated with Cubase.

OK - interesting points; none of these will I hit any time soon, for sure… lol.! But, I am keen on hearing these ideas and concerns from more ‘pro’ users and to see how SB respond.

Hello Alexandre!

Can you show us the power of the Score Editor?

I have a coleague that says its crap compared to Finale, but I think its because he doesnt know how to use Cubase. Honestly havent found any flaws in terms of notation or procedure to get a score ready.

Also,

As a music producer, I have used the score editor as a VERY valuable tool, to do the following production related tasks (most of which take advantage of sequencer related features, such as the Audio to MIDI function from Variaudio)

1. Convert an audio recording to MIDI and then to a Score part in order to share ideas or analyze flaws or virtues in a performance
  2. Convert an edited version of a guitar solo recording to MIDI then to TAB in order to hand it over to the guitar player so he can practice it and get it ready for the recording session
  3. Record a rehearsal, turn it into MIDI then to score and hand it back to the musicians for them to have something on paper as a reference to study and work on their parts before the recording session
  4. Use my talkback mic in the control room to record melody ideas, turn them to MIDI and then show them to the singer right there during the session - specially useful to communicate rhythmic stuff.
  5. Turn markers and chord track events easily into lead sheets
  6. Turn a quick MIDI recording into a sketch that I can turn over to my arranger guy so he can have a clear idea of what I mean.

Hi Hesca,

of course I can! I just came back from Prague, where I recorded with the Philharmonic orchestra. 210 pages of full score and all parts extracted, all with the score editor.

How many errors??? Two (yes, 2) notes (my mistake)! Why? the reliability of keeping everything within Cubase.

the irony?? I was too lazy to extract a Harp part and thus asked my assistant to do it in Sibelius. Yes, this one was full of errors.

As soon as I have some spare time I post some pages here.

The Score Editor is all you need