CUBASE UPGRADE to Cubase 11 Elements

Hello! This might sound a bit weird but I couldn’t quite find the answer anywhere.
I currently own Cubase 10 AI (got it with URmkII) and recently upgraded it to Cubase 11 Elements. I’m not sure how the installation process works.
1-Should I download the full installation of the Cubase 11 Elements or is there an upgrade installation from Cubase 10 AI ?
2-If I download the full installation of the Cubase 11 Elements does that mean that I’ll be downloading the VSTs I already own that come with the Cubase 10 AI again (HALion Sonic, Groove Agent etc.) or during the installation it detects the files that I already own and does not download them again?

Thank you!

1 Like

The upgrade refers to the change in your license and is entirely independent of any currently installed version of Cubase. Use the Steinberg Download Assistant to install the full version C11 Elements. Anything you see called “Cubase Elements 11 Update” is for going from C11.0.0 to something like C11.0.41 not for C10 to C11.

The installation breaks down the different components into Required, Recommended, Optional based on what you want/need (a lot of folks skip the download heavy content 'cause they don’t intend to use it).

You don’t need to, but some of these will be updated from the previous version - so maybe you want those. In in case the VSTi itself is typically a small download. It’s the content that gets you.

1 Like

Thank you. Now I understand completely.
Is it ok to delete Cubase 10 AI, after I install Cubase11 Elements? This doesn’t mean deleting the content, right?
Also are my old projects going to work with the new version?

1 Like

Yes you can safely delete Cubase 10 without removing any content. But I’d recommend keeping it around awhile ‘just in case.’ Cubase Projects are both backwards & forwards compatible. Of course new features introduced with Cubase 11 won’t be available in Cubase 10 - but Cubase still retains it within the Project. So you could take a C11 Project open it in C10 and save it from there. Then if you open that in C11 it will still have all the C11 stuff intact, despite the visit to C10.

1 Like

Thank you once more! You’ve been a great help sir!