Cubase UserPreferences.xml file is huge, contianing binary log data

Hi,

Recently I noticed that Cubase became very slow when loading: at “Initializing: Global Settings” step.
Closing Cubase is slow.
Loading Preferences presets list is also slow (Cubase is freezing for ~10 seconds).

After investigating, I noticed that UserPreferences.xml size is ~90MB, which seems to be root cause of this.

Most of the file size is occupied by “LogPreset@” and “LogPresetA” bin enties which are serialized into this XML file, even though the name suggests that it probably just should be used for logging.

I tried manually deleting these binary entries in XML (and after the file size becomes ~200KB, Cubase starts fast), but the log entries are re-serialized again when Cubase is (slowly!) closing.

The “offensive” binary entries are serialized under AutoSavers\PMidiSetup\Filters.
Below is the screenshot of the location (I deleted binary entries contents) in this example.

Any suggestions what I can do to fix this?

Thank you!

1 Like

Looks like I was able to solve it.

As turned out, some of this “log” data ended up in my preset files located in “\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 12_64\Presets\Configurations” folder.

I cleaned them up in notepad, and the problem is gone now.
UserPreferences.xml file size now stays small, and Cubase is working fast again.

Have a nice day.

2 Likes

Your findings are very interesting.
(No need to hide the files content though :upside_down_face:)

1 Like

noticed the same with mine. file went from 75kb to 45mb, made loading preferences slow. it seems the more u make changes to ur preferences and save, more chunk data keeps getting added and file keep growing.