Cubase Volume Automation Issue?

I’m deep into a mix and just noticed that I now can no longer select volume as an automation. I can select any other parameter, but when I select volume it simply doesn’t change.

Moreover, when I engage “write”, and try to automate via my cc121 controller, the current volume jumps to a much lower volume. I then can see the volume lane, and at that point can grab the node and pull the volume back up, but every time I try and use the pencil tool and click a starting point for volume changes, as soon as I click, once again the volume jumps way down?

To troubleshoot, I opened up a blank project and imported an audio file to see if the volume automation functioned normally, and sure enough it did. So this leads me to believe I’ve somehow inadvertently selected something that has the volume automation acting abnormally? No clue of course what that could be.

Anyone ever experience this, or have any solutions to put the volume automation back to normal?

Marc

Hi,

Is there VCA fader connected by any chance?

Yes, I have a verse and chorus vocal, AND a duplicate of each for parallel compression all controlled via a vca fader. I also have the lead vocal and it’s parallel on a group track.

Is the VCA causing the issue?

I also discovered that the odd behavior only happens when trying to automate a group track, which is part of the VCA link.

Hi,

Could you attach a screenshot of the MixConsole, where we can see the routing of the channels on question, please?

Will do, although it’ll be later this evening. Never attached anything here, where’s the “attach” button?

I’m experiencing volume automation issues (volume seems to want to reach a specific number although I do set it where I want but does not obey)
I have my cc121 connected and on, but on the last two or three projects I have not used it; it’s just on…

here is a video I made to help on a conversation in another forum
(sorry, voice over is in Greek but you can get an idea)

Hi,

@dhmpan, do you have any VCA Fader connected? Do you use any other Remote Device but CC121? Could you try to remove (or set to Not Connected) all Remote Devices?

No vca faders. No other remote device but the cc121, but…the cc121 was connected and on, even though not used in this project, without its power supply.

I shut it down and then I put the faders where I wanted (integer numbers) and after that they stayed there.
The cause must have been, not having it powered so that the motorized fader would work properly.