Cubase VST performance load woes

I am running Cubase 7 LE on a Lenovo Y50-70(Intel i7 2.4 GHz, 16 GB RAM) laptop and I have three VST plugins that I use: Guitar Rig 5, Kontakt 5 and Superior drummer 2.

For recordings I use a Lexicon Alpha, which is decent.

Up until yesterday everything was fine, I could record with relative ease using Guitar Rig, make some nice keyboard sounds with Kontakt and program decent sounding drums with SP2 without any load issues. Then I tried to record a guitar part with Guitar Rig, I chose a present from one of the hundreds they have and started recording. Suddenly everything sounded slow and glitchy, the performance meter went haywire showing the VSTs are overloaded or something. I couldnt record anything. Everything sounded slow glitchy and clicky.

I tried to search for answers regarding the subject. I tied to disable hyper threading, uninstalling my video card drivers, disabling various performance reducing programs I even installed ASIO4All which only made things worse to be honest.

I am at a dead end, whenever I load a project that only has three tracks in it. Two Guitar Rig VSTs for bass and guitar and one SP2 VST for drums the load meter is constantly at half, and that’s without the damn thing running.

I am at a dead end guys and I dont know what to do, I tried to uninstall Cubase and any ASIO I may not need(even the Alpha) and still nothing.

Help?

Hello Ferdinandstrat,

Sorry for the frustration. I know that it may seem like you don’t have much going on in your project however the VST instruments and Audio VST’s you’ve mentioned are fairly processor intensive. Just curious, in Cubase LE7 when you go to Device>Device Setup and Click on your ASIO driver, then select the Control Panel. What is your current Buffer Size set to in Samples?