Cubase won't open - Runtime error R6025

Hi there. When I try to start Cubase 6 the program freezes on startup and I get this error message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library: Runtime error! R6025 – pure virtual function call.

My installation of the program seemed to go fine. And the first time I started it up the program did actually boot up ok. I didn’t use it - I closed it and registered my serial number online. And since then, when I try to start the program I get the error message above (perhaps this is important: the program startup seems to freeze and give me the error after getting to “Initialize: VST System Link”).

So far I have tried

• Reinstalling Cubase (including on a different partition)
  • Flushing out unnecessary registry files
  • Defragging the hard drive
  • Moving VSTplugins to a different folder & trying to boot up

The most similar situation to mine I can see has involved re-directing a path in the registry:

1. Go to Start / Run and type Regedit
  2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / VST
  3. In this section there is a key called VSTPluginsPath with the value set to the location of your VST plugins. I assume you will see that it is set to C:\ instead of something like C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins
  4. Just double click VSTPluginsPath and paste the path in.

Unfortunately this does not seem to work for me as there is no Software / VST section in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE section on my machine.

Are there any users out there who have experienced this and have any suggestions? Many thanks.

The confession: I am using a Windows XP SP3 machine. Yep I know Steinberg isn’t supporting XP users with C6, but earlier postings indicated that XP users have found Cubase 6 ok on their systems. Also, I have noticed that users of previous versions of Cubase, with XP and Windows 7, have experienced the same runtime error.

I should add that my computer has:

• Service Pack 3, with latest updates
  • 3.25 GB of ram
  • Microsoft C++ 2010 x86 (and others going back)

Ok so this is pretty much fixed… there is some sort of conflict with my Zoom H4 audio interface that gives the runtime error.

If I only initialise the Zoom H4 after opening Cubase 6 I seem ok.

Perhaps it’s something to do with other settings on my machine. Anyway, all good for now, and the software seems fine in XP, although I haven’t spent a great deal of time on it yet.