Hi there. When I try to start Cubase 6 the program freezes on startup and I get this error message:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library: Runtime error! R6025 – pure virtual function call.
My installation of the program seemed to go fine. And the first time I started it up the program did actually boot up ok. I didn’t use it - I closed it and registered my serial number online. And since then, when I try to start the program I get the error message above (perhaps this is important: the program startup seems to freeze and give me the error after getting to “Initialize: VST System Link”).
So far I have tried
- Reinstalling Cubase (including on a different partition)
- Flushing out unnecessary registry files
- Defragging the hard drive
- Moving VSTplugins to a different folder & trying to boot up
The most similar situation to mine I can see has involved re-directing a path in the registry:
- Go to Start / Run and type Regedit
- Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / VST
- In this section there is a key called VSTPluginsPath with the value set to the location of your VST plugins. I assume you will see that it is set to C:\ instead of something like C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins
- Just double click VSTPluginsPath and paste the path in.
Unfortunately this does not seem to work for me as there is no Software / VST section in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE section on my machine.
Are there any users out there who have experienced this and have any suggestions? Many thanks.
The confession: I am using a Windows XP SP3 machine. Yep I know Steinberg isn’t supporting XP users with C6, but earlier postings indicated that XP users have found Cubase 6 ok on their systems. Also, I have noticed that users of previous versions of Cubase, with XP and Windows 7, have experienced the same runtime error.
I should add that my computer has:
- Service Pack 3, with latest updates
- 3.25 GB of ram
- Microsoft C++ 2010 x86 (and others going back)