Cubase's Pitch Correction plugin vs Auto-Tune?

Never used Auto-Tune before.

How do u guys think it stacks up to Cubase’s included Pitch Correction plugin?

I dont use it very much anyways, but last nite we threw it on a female vocal (very lightly) and my friend said I should try Auto-Tune instead.

Thoughts?

THANKS!

Never did a lot of A/B experimenting, but just as in Auto Tune, unless you need dramatic pitch correction it works just fine. It doesn’t get close to the precision you can get with VariAudio (or preferably Melodyne), but that’s not “auto” at all. :slight_smile:

Totally…I think my friend just wasnt used to Pitch Correction and wasnt getting the results he wanted and was, of course, blaming it on my software.

Can I ask then, what makes Melodyne better than VariAudio? I like VariAudio…but yeah it’s time consuming (but so is Melodyne lol). I’ve gotten good results from it…how is Melodyne better?

THANKS! :smiley:

And lol…funny sig btw…I list my stuff mostly so I dont have to explain my setup every time I have an issue with something. At least that’s part of the reason lol.

…I’ve been using Melodyne for years. I think it’s very quick and very easy to use. I think it is also very easy to understand it… just my 2 cent’s. I’ve used all kinds of pitch correction plugins, but I always seem to go back to Melodyne. The one built into Cubase is a good one to, but I use the Melodyne for most applications.

nexis

If you ask me, Melodyne is the king of time stretching, if you like to abuse it and do weird stuff with it. :smiley:

But most important, it’s much easier to work with. Mainly because of the annoying lack of a hotkey to switch tools in VariAudio, it slows down work a lot. Also, individual control of vibrato (modulation) and pitch drift, formant shifting, amplitude… It’s a great tool.

Cool thanks…

How do u bridge it into Cubase exactly? Rewire? Ive only Rewired once…Submersible Drumcore. I figure its not a standard plugin.

Besides ARA, Melodyne is available as a VST, AU and RTAS plugin. You use it as in insert effect then ‘transfer’ the desired audio to Melodyne in real time.

Carey

ARA?

Wow it works as a real-time VST huh? Do u make the changes in Melodyne and then when u close the plugin, ur changes are permanent?

See here:-
http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=ara

With their ARA technology, it becomes like an extra ‘built-in’ tool and so yes it all happens in real-time and is continually editable as you desire.

But, the VST plugin version is maybe not quite as friendly. With just the one vocal to work on say, then this could be fine (even with, as we use, the lighter ‘Assistant’ edition). It can be kept ‘running’ (active/editable) until you’re ready to commit your changes permanently.

However, trying to keep several instances loaded (working on BV’s, double-tracks and harmonies etc, etc), and you will see it eat away your resources…! Which means, you will need to keep rendering out your work as you progress and bringing the files back in, then unloading the plugin instance. So there’s a lot of ‘doubling’ of tracks (keeping originals intact) and to-ing and fro-ing, importing/exporting, which is time consuming and a workflow thing.

VariAudio (like ARA) being in-built is very convenient and a big plus - BUT, as has been indicated above, inside it the general workflow with VariAudio is not good; it is just clunky with the constant having to switch modes and those tool selection issues. With Melodyne, the multi-toolbox approach has everything to hand, right where (mouse position…!) you are working on the screen…!! Believe me, once you work with this and then try VariAudio, you will see (feel…!) what I mean. :wink:

Yes, there are ultimately more steps involved with Melodyne, and its certainly more time-consuming - but, do you know, I tolerate all that because I enjoy the speed of getting results inside it. :slight_smile:

Both by the way, produce perfectly acceptable results sound/quality wise, to my ears. I am not familiar with the workings of Auto-Tune.

HTH,
Bob

Autotune is fine (not EVO) particularly in conjunction with VariAudio, a little bit of both rather than more of one!

If you want to keep the result natural, of course with all these tools, the better the original pitch the better the results.

Melodyne is king though.

I tried something tonight-made small pitch adjustments to my lead vocal just to get everything close, THEN used Pitch Correct. It worked like a charm. Gonna try it that way a few times and see if the results consistently make me happy. I don’t really hear degradation from making the pitch adjustments.

I think the Dirac 3.5 algorithms for pitch shifting work very well too. It still isn’t in the same class as Melodyne, especially since it doesn’t work well with polyphonic material. My vote is for Melodyne Editor. :wink:

I do all my tuning… even on major label projects with vari-pitch in Cubase or Nuendo now. I like it better. It sounds better, works better, and is much faster. I really believe they knocked this ball out of the park. Now if they could just get the sliders in the sample editor window to respond to the AI wheel when the cursor is placed over them… I would be in Heaven… well… the Heaven of tuning hell that is. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does anybody know if there has been any upgrade in Vari Audio in Cubase from version 7.5 to the latest version?