Cubasis 3.3 has turned my audio signal into Rice Krispies

I’m going to file a proper report, but in the meantime, here it is …

Ever since Cubasis 3.3 (and 3.3.1 which seemed to make it even worse) a storm of cracks and pops makes using it a frustrating and never-ending cycle of quitting the program (which temporarily fixes it for a few minutes) and trying to make adjustments to the audio latency settings. In addition, getting Cubasis 3 to “see” my interface has become much more problematic. And then when it does connect (usually after having to turn everything off and on again), I have to deal with the intolerable crackling …

I’ve NEVER had this problem before 3.3. In fact, the stability of Cubasis 3 and low latency of my system (2018 iPP and MOTU Ultralite AVB) was probably its standout feature and what kept me coming back …

I’m honestly at the point where this is simply unusable to me.

What happened with the 3.3 update?

Hi,

Check the DSP. I had a very similar problem, and found that it occurred when DSP usage peaked at 99-100%.

I have a 2018 iPad Pro like you do, but use a Behringer XR18 for my interface.

I solved the problem (look for a thread with the word “distortion” in it) by switching some of my plug-ins. I found that MagicDeathEye (compression) and DDMF (EQ and limiting) plug-ins use less resources than some of the others I have. I love the FabFilter plug-ins, but am using them more judiciously as they seem to eat lots of DSP. With many of my 14 channels loaded with 2-6 plug-ins and a master channel with MagicDeathEye Stereo for “glue,” the DSP usage fluctuates between 25% and 60%. I’m sure that when I have more content in this template DSP will be busier, but it’s down from 99-100% with the same audio content. DSP hovers in the 30%-40% most of the time, so I have lots of headroom.

After the changes, the distortion/crackling went away completely.

I am still using FabFilter Pro-MB on some of the channels to tame annoying transients, and Pro-R for reverb. Switching from Pro-Q3, Pro-L2 and Pro-C2 to the MagicDeathEye and DDMF counterparts made all the difference.

As a nice side affect, these more basic plug-ins, that are software versions of legendary hardware, sound incredible!

I’ve never used any Cubasis version before 3.3, so I can’t compare.

Good luck!

Dov

I appreciate your comments, but unfortunately, I’m not using ANY plug-ins when this happens …

And even just getting ANY kind of signal takes a tremendous amount of jumping through hoops … tuning everything off and on … unplugging, etc. It’s ridiculous.

And then … the crackling starts eventually … and so begins the process of quitting the app and re-loading it (which is also much, much slower) than it used to be.

I REALLY regret updating to 3.3. Comparatively, everything was fine before …

Looks like I’m going back to my Mac. Possibly for good …

Overall, I can’t say I’ve been happy with my experience with Cubasis 2/3. I think I might be chalking this two-year experiment as a failure … :frowning:

I feel your pain.

I had a similar experience with Auria Pro. Switching to Cubasis was a revelation. It was easy and it just worked.

I’m sorry your experience hasn’t been positive like mine has.

I hope Lars can offer some help.

Hi @Diametro,

Do you own the USB-C iPad model?

Here, several owners of this device reported about problems with several music apps in the following Audiobus forum thread.

In addition, please give the following steps a try, to see if it helps to immediately resolve your issues:

(1) Set “Audio Engine Latency” to “OFF”
(2) Load an empty project
(3) Close all running apps, including Cubasis
(4) Fully shut down the iPad

Please keep me updated about your results!

Thanks
Lars

Yes … USB-C iPad model. I’ll give it a try. (Closing all apps is not something I was doing.)

However, all these headaches caused last night me to update my late 2012 i7 Mac Mini to Catalina and the LATEST version of Logic Pro 10.6, which JUST came out. Everything works, including my MOTU Ultralite AVB, Logic Remote for iPad (which gives a lot of touch-based functionality back to me), and even my trusty Roland V-Studio 100 from 2009 lol. I was fully expecting that to become “broken” and was the main reason I had previously “crystalized” my system way back at 10.10.6. (But I started reading about Logic 10.5-6 and realizing I could still use it, had to give it a shot.)

I wish you guys the best of luck. Fwiw, I want this app to succeed (and I spent ever penny you can on Cubsasis 2/3, including a hearty selection of AUv3s plug-ins and stuff like Korg Gadget, etc). But I’m putting my resources (time and money) back into Logic and the Mac platform.

I really don’t know what the answer medium-to long-term answer for “professional” music production on iPad. Try to match feature parity to desktop DAWs? Or keep it simple and rock solid for “mobile recording.” Then there’s the 600-pound elephant outside the room in what’s Apple going to do with Logic Pro on M1 equipped iPad Pro (obviously, that’s a tiny fraction now, but eventually every iPad will have it or better).

Since I have two iPad Pros, I’m still going to try and use one of them as a software instrument (possibly running Cubasis 3 as the hub) … so it’s not quite game over yet … :slight_smile:

Hi @Diametro,

Yes. Usb-C. Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was feeling very frustrated at the moment.

I fully understand your frustration.

However there seems to be several issues with Apple’s USB-C model affecting iOS music apps, as stated by several users in this Audiobus forum thread:

Best,
Lars