Cubasis 3 no longer works in Auria Pro

With Cubasis 2 the following procedure is completely problem-free: In Auria you start Cubasis in the FX area to loop the signal into Auria. Works in track, sub, aux FX and also master channel.

If you then create an audio track in Cubasis you can choose at the input if the signal comes back from the aux, sub or master path of Auria. I liked using this to then record the signal. But be careful, the monitor button must be turned off or you will get a nasty feedback loop.

With Cubasis 3, neither works anymore. You can still open Cubasis in Auria in the FX section, but no signal arrives at Auria. Sometimes after an iPad restart it works and sometimes when an audio interface is connected. When it does work in rare cases, you can get the signal back from Auria via an audio track in Cubasis, but you can’t record it anymore. If Cubasis is in record mode, no signal from Auria comes in. If you press the monitor button and then record, you can record the nasty feedback signal. Everything else does not work unfortunately. I have tried everything countless times. With Cubase 2, on the other hand, it runs without problems and dropouts.

What is the reason that it no longer works with Cubasis 3?

Everything on my iPad is up to date. Both iOS and the apps. I have an iPad Air 3 with A12 processor and 128 GB storage.

I hope you can fix this issue or give me a solution how it works.

I wish you all at Steinberg a happy and a successful new year in 2021.

Bye _marshMellow

Versions: Cubasis 3.2, Auria 2.29 and iOS 14.3

Have you checked if the background audio is enabled in Cubasis 3 and Auria Pro?

It needs to be turned on in order for Cubasis 3 to be able to output audio to Auria Pro when it is in the background. (Cubasis Settings > Audio > Background Audio).

Same applies if you want to hear the output from AuriaPro when in Cubasis so…
Background audio ON in all involved apps should fix this.

If I recall correctly background audio in Cubasis 3 is disabled by default in order to save battery life when it’s not being used but it also makes it a hassle when connections to other apps need to be made…

Cheers!

Thanks for the help, but unfortunately this is not the solution. Since this workflow only works via Inter-App, you have to have „Background Audio“ turned on by force. Otherwise the playback stops automatically when you switch to the other app.

And on the other hand it works perfectly with Cubasis 2 with the same settings.

Have a nice day.

bye _marshMellow

I honestly don’t understand why Cubasis 3 doesn’t have the same functionality as Cubasis 2. What reason is there that the routing I described can’t be implemented in version 3? Could it be because the two versions don’t get along on the iPad? Should version 2 be uninstalled?

Also, I can’t understand why there has been no statement from Steinberg on this issue yet. I was expecting to purchase a better version with Cubasis 3. So far, unfortunately, it looks like the opposite is true.

bye _marshMellow

Hi marshMellow,

Below please find the feedback from our engineering.

I honestly don’t understand why Cubasis 3 doesn’t have the same functionality as Cubasis 2.

It has even more features, but since it’s a complete rewrite it’s possible that we discover bugs that have already been fixed for Cubasis 2, like this one.

What reason is there that the routing I described can’t be implemented in version 3?

This kind of routing (Cubasis 3 as an IAA input) works with other apps like Music Studio, AudioShare, AUM… just not with Auria, that’s a bug we didn’t know about up until now.

Could it be because the two versions don’t get along on the iPad? Should version 2 be uninstalled?

No, on iOS an app cannot break another app, apps are separated by the OS.

Stay well,
Lars

Hello Lars,

thank you for the detailed answer. Unfortunately this is already the second bad news. If you don’t know what the problem is with Auria, then it probably won’t be fixed anytime soon.

And you have no idea why it works fine in Cubasis 2 then?

Have a nice weekend.

bye _marshMellow

I read on the Auria forum that there are several apps where no signal comes back from Auria. The problem is known to the developer, because there was a reply to which he wrote, that he is working to solve this. I hope he gets it right and it finally works with Cubasis 3.

bye _marshMellow