Cubasis crackle / cracks with AudioUnits

Hi there,
I am pretty new to making music using my iPad Pro 10,5" from 2017 with an A10X processor. When running Cubasis with Audio Unit Synths like Moog Model D, Zeeon or Sunrizer it will very soon start cracking. Of course this is very irritating, especially because when I use these synths standalone the sound quality is extremely overwhelming. So the issue is in the combination it seems.

What solution can you offer? it is the latest Update of Cubasis 3.2.1.

So far I tried:

• playing with different latency values (like many write in the forum) but I dont understand difference and usage of the two values: device latency and audio engine latency. Right now I use: device: 10,7ms and audio engine 42.7ms.
  • watching if the audio units demand to much of the processor. cpu usage never went above 10%, whereas DSP acts crazy sometimes and many times around 20-40%
  • only using one audio unit track. The latter helped for a short period of time. Then cracking started again.
  • Freezing tracks by converting them in audio. Yeah this also results in a audio file with cracks
  • Checking processor usage when using one of the audio units stand alone. Even the complex supersaws with lots of spread and width in sunrizer only increased processor usage by +15% measured with a seperate app.

Please help - it is very sad not being able to use the audio units within cubasis. Right now I would have to record samples externally and then upload them into cubasis. That cant be the way?

Looking forward to reading from you.

Regards,
Thorsten

Hi @Webster,

Thank you for your message and welcome to the forum.

Please have a look at our dedicated Cubasis 3 Performance and Multicore-redering & Latency Settings articles, if these are of help to resolve your current performance issues.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes,
Lars

Hi @LSlowak , thank you for your fast reply. I did read the articles with high interest and started experimenting. First need to say that my iPad has a 6 Core cpu. So multi core rendering would be nice to use. But at any configuration of device and audio engine latency it does produce crackles. Only if I deactivate that audio engine latency I get clear sound. Does that make sense to you? Need to add that I am talking about using AUs. Additionally need to say that the crackles only occur, when I replay the recording. When recording or without recording mode just playing the AUs there is no crackle but clear sound.

So I would like to be able to use multi core rendering. What can I change in my configuration?

Please also note that I do only use 5 tracks simultaneously! Should not be a Biggy?

Thx for your further help.

Regards,
Thorsten

Hi @Webster,

Thank you for your message.

Maybe your iPad model in use works best, when deactivating the audio engine latency setting. Or do you experience other issues, when using Cubasis that way?

Best wishes,
Lars

Hi @LSlowak,

that is an very pragmatic view on the situation. I need to give you credit for that. Right now it is working fine for me.

However your product should work on my system correctly should it not? Do you have any idea what can be changed?

I am talking about the Apple IPad Pro 2017. surely not a niche product.

Thank you for any further help.

Kind regards,
Thorsten

Hi @Webster,

that is an very pragmatic view on the situation. I need to give you credit for that. Right now it is working fine for me.

To me it looks like, there seems to be issues when using older devices (which still perform great otherwise).

If it works fine for you, I would keep it in that setting for now, which seems to be the best for the given device.

Best wishes,
Lars

I also have the 10.5” iPad Pro (2017) and with 2 of my AUV3 apps I experience different audio results.

I have FM Tines 2 which plays nicely with Cubasis 3 - multiple instances and no crackle with the Audio Engine Latency enabled.

By contrast, I have FM Player 2 (Audiokit) which will only play crackle-free with the audio engine latency disabled, and doesn’t handle more than one instance well. But I know this is a problem with that particular app.

You are right. Read this thread from Audiobus Cubasis 3.2 - Multicore-rendering & Latency Settings — Audiobus Forum

Additionally I found out that the Apple A10X processor has 6 cores with an uneven number of high performance and energy optimization cores. 3 and 3. maybe this causes confusion?

And to add up: all of a sudden today It works fine with latency turned on. Whatsoever.

Lars, there is the need for a clear compatibility list for multi core usage. Thanx so far

Regards,
Thorsten

Thanx. Will observe that