Cubasis frustration

I bought Cubasis 3 and have spend a couple of weeks in frustration. I have studied the product and read the manual. I have searched this forum. I have watched the youtubes. I have experience with computers and software, including sequencers and audio recording. Cubasis for me is just not reliable or dependable. Is it for you?

I am running Cubasis on an iPad Air 2 with plenty of memory and using a Soundcraft Notepad-8FX as the interface… perhaps not a recommended interface, but it has the inputs, outputs and digital connections needed.

I have had trouble monitoring recording. Sometime the headphone jack on the iPad works, sometime it doesn’t. Sometime the digital out to the Soundcraft works and sometimes it doesn’t.

I have pretty consistently poor audio with crackles and noise. It seems I have to provide Cubasis with very low audio or else it distorts. When I normalize the low recordings more crackles are introduced. There does not seem to be any way to monitor input levels in Cubasis. I have fiddled with the various settings on the audio setup page (IE latency, etc.).

External Inter-Apps don’t load consistently and require jumping out of Cubasis to start-up and then try again. Then close Cubasis and start again. Or do a iPad reset and try again.

I have gone back to Garageband and everything just works. But I like the Cubasis interface and added features and really want to use it.

Perhaps the problem is my (getting old) iPad Air 2. I am planning on a new iPad Pro soon so perhaps that will make things better? I read the type C-USB on the Pro can be an issue so maybe that will not fix anything?

Anyone using an Air 2 without problems?

Any suggestions would be appreciated (other than closing all apps and restarting the iPad which I have done multiple times).

John

Hello and welcome, John. I don’t think you iPad is the problem. I work with Cubasis 3 (before it was Cubasis 2) with an iPad Air 2, and it runs flawlessly. I don’t use it for big projects, though, but for building versions, trying ideas, trying alternatives of instrument distribution, and so on. I have an irig Pro duo. But when I use it with the interface, I can’t use the headphones output of the iPad , but the one on the iRig. Maybe you have a too low latency?

Hi @John_Linn,

Thank you for your message and welcome to the Cubasis forum!

To quickly dive into the app and learn more about the Cubasis workflow, I suggest to give our “Getting starte with Cubasis” tutorial clip a closer look:

In addition, please give the following steps a try, to immediately solve feasible issues:

(1) Set “Audio Engine Latency” to “OFF”.
(2) Load an empty project template.
(3) Close all running apps, including Cubasis.
(4) Fully shut down the iPad.

Please let me know if this helps to resolve your problems!

Thanks,
Lars

Thanks for the replies. I am sorry I have taken so long to respond. I have not given up and have good news that things are working much better now. I did buy the new iPad Pro and that has helped in some ways as it is much faster and the display is better. And the big thing is being able to plug right in my Soundcraft Notepad-8FX with no adapter cable, usb bridge/splitter and power adapter. So much more elegant. I was previously using a third party lightning/usb adapter and think that was part of my issue.

In addition have determined how to properly monitor Cubasis output using the aux bus on the Soundcraft. Beyond that I have learned more about signal levels and using the Cubasis mixer effectively and the crackles are much better controlled.

I still have some issues with external Inter-Apps but that could well be out of control of Cubasis. They don’t always load as expected and call up the correct patch… which brings me to some new questions:

• Should Audio Units and Inter-App sources be expected to recall the correct patch when loaded by Cubasis?

• Can Audio Units and Inter-App sources be used on multi tracks with different patches simulatniously or is that beyond reasonable expectations? In other words do they create multiple instances for each track/patch?

Thanks again for all your help.

John

Hi @John_Linn,

Thanks for your updated message!

We are very glad to read that things seem to work much better for you, using Cubasis with the new iPad Pro!

• Should Audio Units and Inter-App sources be expected to recall the correct patch when loaded by Cubasis?
  • Can Audio Units and Inter-App sources be used on multi tracks with different patches simulatniously or is that beyond reasonable expectations? In other words do they create multiple instances for each track/patch?

Apple’s Audio Unit format can be seen as their successor to the Inter-App Audio standard.

IAA plug-ins are limited to a single instance per project, where the same AU plug-in can be loaded as often as you like (or the processor allows to do), including loading different sounds/patches per instance.

Normally, Cubasis should remember the loaded patches. Please let us know if this is not the case for you.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes,
Lars