Cueing multiple parts

Is there a way to insert cues from multiple parts into the same bar? For example, if I want to insert a cue from the Horn parts into the Trumpet 1 part, and the Horns are all playing a chord in rhythmic unison, can I put a cue from all 4 Horn parts into the Trumpet part? Sorry that was probably terribly worded haha - I was having trouble figuring out how to describe this.

I think the only way to do this is by making a dummy player to hold the voiced out chord and cueing that. Hide the dummy stave in the score; you might have to edit the cue label.

4 Likes

You can have overlapping cues, although you can’t directly input a second cue at the same position as an existing cue - but if you input a 2nd cue in the next bar and then move it back in Write mode, they’ll accommodate each other. However, having 4 simultaneous separate cues would likely be less readable than having a separate player for the purposes of cueing as suggested above.

3 Likes

That’s the method I use. In one particular orchestral score I used six dummy players. It meant I could specify exactly how I wanted a cue to appear and edit/tweak the source (ie the dummy) without the “real” player’s notes being affected.

I haven’t tried this yet, but it’s a method I hadn’t even thought of. Good lateral thinking, Lillie.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call it “lateral thinking”, so much as “a useful tip that’s included in the manual”.

2 Likes

When I first needed to create a cue, I think I must have consulted the manual for as much as I needed to know at the time and not read any further. I can’t think of an occasion when I needed overlapping cues, but I have used the “dummy player” method for cueing, for example, a trumpet section playing block chords in the same rhythm.
But, point taken - as you say, “it’s in the manual”.

Different methods will be more useful in different circumstances, so it’s always useful to have multiple options to hand. And luckily, there is also a hint about how to get overlapping cues should one want that on the page about inputting cues too.