Cues need global properties of their own

I noticed many slur-errors when working with cues.
Investigating a little it seems like changing engraving for cues affect engraving for original instrument (at least when in global).
This isn’t wanted behavior is it?

If you are adjusting properties globally, the changes you make will appear everywhere. I’m sorry to point out the obvious, but that’s what the word “global” means.

If you want to adjust the appearance of an item only in the instance you’re currently editing, ensure you are using the local scope.

Cues can be quite different engraving-wise than the original. Editing the look of the cue should not alter the original, that be local or global. imo.
Usually a cue is only for one part, but in some instances a global editing of the cue is preferred.

In all honesty, that is an issue that, in my opinion, blemishes Dorico’s groundbreaking Cues implementation.

Ultimately, it is not so much a question of local vs. global. Editing the appearance of a cue should never affect the source notation – there should be a protective ‘layer of disconnect’, to coin a term. Scope could then be used aptly, to edit either all instances of a particular cue, or just a single instance (both scenarios are possible).

1 Like

But since a cue is simply a “pointer” to music that actually exists on another staff, how would that

be (technically) possible?

IMO, the dynamically updating aspect of cues-as-pointers (over essentially “fancy” copy-paste-apply-multiple-format-changes that need to be redone if the cued part changes) is brilliant.

Let me give you an example from my work now.

I have 2 full scores (orchestral context)

• #1 for writing, with extra utility staffs, with cues visible
  • #2 for print

Then parts

When looking at my #1 score and I see a cue that looks too bad, I go to my part and edit it there. But I can’t use global, so when I return to my full #1 score it looks as bad as before, and I can’t tell if it fixed or not. And it’s no use editing it as local there.

I am confused about what you are trying to achieve, but have you tried just changing the particular cue properties?

Yes, sure

Completely agree! I ran into this a couple of weeks ago in this thread. I had manually added some necessary cautionary accidentals in a part, but didn’t need them in the other parts where this line was cued. My mistake was simply unclicking the toggle in the cue rather than cycling through the visibility options, so I lost the accidentals in the source as well. It still seems very counterintuitive to me that unclicking a toggle in a Cue should have any effect at all in the source, but it does.

I can’t think of a reason why I would ever want edits to a cue to affect the source material, so I definitely am in support of the layer of disconnect principle here.

3 Likes