Curved glissando lines

Hi,
I am struggling to find the best way to write glissando lines which are not straight, they maintain in a horizontal position and just in the end are curved towards the next note.
So far I found a workaround with slur , changed the thikness and just shape it manually.
I tried also with Line editor, and searching for an annotation symbol which could fit in the end to create this but I couldn’t find any solution.
Did anybody encountered this and have a better solution than what I tried?
I would be really gratefull.
THanks!
Slice 1|668x200

When I created this, I also used slurs:

It was rather a PIA and I wish there would be native support for these kind of curves.
To be fair: since I imported it in Affinity later anyhow, I should’ve just done it in there.

I myself miss a bezigon so much!

Paolo

I think you can create this with a custom horizontal line. I’m not at my computer right now to try it, but I’m almost sure you can; especially since the curve isn’t so long at the end…
Alternatively, you could use two lines if you can spare the curvature—a straight horizontal line followed continuously by a straight slanted line towards the next note.

I’m back at my computer right now, so I tried what I thought… here are the results:

Using the brass fall and brass doit symbols for the end caps:

This second one looks a little more… elegant? Just my opinion, nothing more; I’m completely aware I have not the slightest idea of the background, tradition or uses, etc.

2 Likes

the first solution looks very nice.
Can you explain me how you did it? I never managed to allign the end cap (the brass fall) in order to be on the same level with the line before.

Sure thing! First, you have to reduce the brass fall/doit to 80% of its original size in the symbol editor. Then, set the right gap to -1/4. Make sure the horizontal alignment is set to baseline (not center). Finally, you have to use a custom solid line that’s a bit thicker than the regular thin line, but not as thick as the thick line.
Let me know if I was able to explain myself well, or if you have any other questions/ideas regarding this.

You can always import the finished score into graphics software to make the glissando lines curved.

Apart for the immediate solution, the beauty of Dorico is that it is not the traditional purely graphic notation program. Each symbol in the score has a meaning for playback. It would be great to have elements meaning pitch variation actually controlling pitch variation.

Paolo

thank you. It looks nice, but maybe I will listed to your advice about the second one being more elegant. How did you create that?
THanks a lot for your input

For the second example, I created a horizontal line attached to rhythmic position on both ends; after creating the line, set the position property to “Inside staff”, then adjust the horizontal start and end position (also in properties). All this is done in Write mode; no need to meddle with engrave mode. Next, create a second horizontal line, this time attached to rhythmic position at the start, and to note at the end; adjust the horizontal start position just as the previous line.
If you want the gliss. text, you have to create a custom line first, and add the text using the “Glissando line text” format.
When I get to my computer, I’ll try to take screenshots for reference. Please, let me know if I wasn’t clear on anything or if you have further questions; I’m glad to help.

1 Like

If you could attach a file with that on .dorico would be perfect… :heart_eyes:

Thanks for the explanation also, I’m trying to do it on the top of the note, like this:

Let me know if you know how to do it.

Thanks!