Custom Tonality System export doesn't work

I made a Custom Tonality System for just intonation with 1200 EDO. It includes my own Accidentals which show the cent diversion I want. Unfortunately the cent diversions don’t get exported or imported. When I create a new document and import the tonality system all cent diversions disappear. Is there a workaround?
I attached an image of the custom accidentals with cent diversions.

Can you attach the project that contains your custom tonality system, so we can take a look?

Upon examining this complex notation, and imagining what the actual notated pitches are supposed to sound like, wasn’t it easier to just say: use natural harmonics (based on a low C) throughout? A brass player, or a string player with a low C string would naturally understand how to play these notes, without the need to express the pitches in cents. It looks very convoluted. After all, western music notation is not married to equal temperament by definition. It originates from a time where diatonic scales and ‘natural’ just intonation were the foundation of music.

Well, if you want to micromanage the music to this level of accuracy, neither brass nor string instruments produce harmonics that correspond exactly to exact integer multiples of the fundamental frequency. Vibrating strings have inharmonicity (which makes successive harmonics increasingly sharp), and brass instruments are not made from mathematically perfect cylindrical or conical tubes.

Hi Daniel, here is the file with my 1200EDO setup.

Thanks

Frank
1200EDO.dorico.zip (481 KB)

Thanks for providing your file. I can see the problem, which is actually in the import rather than the export, namely that Dorico is failing to import the text components of your accidental definitions. I will fix this. Sorry for the inconvenience.

In the absence of a fix, what I suggest you do is either use the option to save the tonality system as a default, so that it will appear in all future projects you create, or use the project in which you’ve created the tonality system as a template, i.e. do Save As to save it under a new name, then delete all of the players and flows from it, then start adding the new players and flows for your new project.

Hi Daniel,
thanks.

Hi Daniel,

do you happen to have any updates concerning the above-mentioned import problem with tonality systems? Dorico 3.5 on Mac don’t seem to handle this yet. The update did include a way to remove tonality systems (thank you for that!) but the text accidentals don’t seem to work yet.

The problem is fixed in our development builds and will be included in the next version of Dorico when it comes, but at the moment we have no concrete plans for further maintenance releases for Dorico 3.5, so I can’t give you an ETA. The workaround I suggested above (i.e. using the project in which you already defined the tonality system and importing flows into that project) should work in the meantime. I’m sorry for the inconvenience.

Okay, thank you. I bumped into the issue while prototyping a tuning system with an accidental for every integer cent deviation. I guess it’s time for manual work instead of XML generation. :woman_technologist:

This is to report that I have the same problem. A large Tonality System created using an extended version of the Bravura font, as well as two other fonts, opens with blank spaces for all the accidentals in the Tonality System editor, only the names and pitch deltas are in place.

Yes, sorry about that. The problem is, as I say, fixed in our internal builds, so it will be fixed in the next update, whatever and whenever that is.