D.C. al segno e poi la coda

Hello my dear partners in crime.

I have a peculiar problem. I would like to create a “D.C. al segno e poi la coda” in my sheet, like so (taken from an old sheet of mine, created before Dorico):

The thing is, that the segno is in the middle of a repeat:

This seems to be impossible to recreate in Dorico? Or am I wrong? I can create custom text as to display the “D.C. al segno e poi la coda”, but when the coda is created, I cannot add the second repeat without Dorico adding a first repeat as well, like so:

Or is it just me, who is new to Dorico, that tries to do something too complicated?

Cheers,
Massimo

Welcome to the forum, Massimo. Dorico won’t allow you to have a second ending without also having a first ending, which seems quite reasonable to me!

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for your answer. But reasonable or not, this is not uncommon. What I try to do is this (taken from Gardner Read’s “Music Notation - A Manual of Modern Practice”):

I’m not trying to have two endings. I am trying to skip a part of the score after running through the first repeat. The example I provided was from Sibelius. It had no troubles with this, so that is why I presumed that Dorico shouldn’t have either. :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers,
Massimo

We don’t have any current plans to allow you to create a repeat ending line with only a second ending, I’m afraid. I would never say never, but it’s not something we’re likely to be working on soon. You should be able to use the new barline-attached horizontal lines added in Dorico 3.1 to produce something that looks about right in the meantime.

I’m trying to understand this: so, you are having a repeat section with house one and house two, then another section, then a D.S., and you want to jump to a coda in between house one and two (i. e. after playing the first ending again)? And you want that coda to show a second ending bracket, too? That is the thing that confuses me the most. The coda doesn’t need an ending bracket because it’s already marked as coda. Or am I misunderstanding something here?

Hi VIPStephan.

I am only showing the house two in the coda for readability; to show the reader that we are in fact jumping into what previously was house two, but now following the coda. I realise this is a tad overkill, but I think it reads better. Now, I’ve managed to create what I need using “To coda” at the beginning of house two (although Dorico skips the repeat altogether when going Da Capo if I play the piece):

But I don’ think that is an elegant solution. Firstly, because of the big gap at the coda. Secondly, because I cannot use a segno, and thirdly (and this is my own aesthetic preference), I cannot add the second house to the coda (unless I try to recreate it). These two parts looked like this in Sibelius:

Cheers,
Massimo

Sorry, Massimo, but your version just looks wrong to me. I would place the “to Coda” (or just the Coda sign) at the end of bar 7. You can add “con rep.” to the “D.C. al Coda” to make sure, the repeat is being played. And without the gap, there is always a player who doesn’t jump back. Dangerous …

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. Like so?

Yeah, that could work. Never really thought about using the “con rep.”. This is elegant. Thanks. At least a nice solution, when I cannot utilise the second house at the coda. And taking the gap into consideration, it ties it together in a better way. I’d still prefer the double bar line, but…

Cheers,
Massimo

That looks good to me!