D3 score still jumping around during editing

I’ve attached 2 pics. The first shows a highlighted G#. All I did was delete that note and the score jumped to a new position, which I then have to do more work finding my place again. This type of thing happens a lot. It would be nice if the score didn’t move unless I wanted it too.
This also shows another odd thing on the 2cd page. This specific example of tying, which works fine in other places, is creating this odd tie situation. I checked with voice colors and they are all in the same voice, but I can’t get them to tie together correctly.

Please attach a project and steps to reproduce the problem.

IncidentalMusicEx.zip (537 KB)
With the ties I checked to see if it’s all the same voice and tried highlighting all the notes or tying them individually but it didn’t make any difference. With the score jumping around there wasn’t anything I could think of to do.

I’ve had some “jumps” which seem to be caused by the following:

• Select an item in Galley view.
  • Scroll the score a long way right or left, while leaving the item selected.
  • Click in the score to cancel the old selection and select something else on the current display.

Result: Sometimes, Dorico seem to temporarily think both items are selected, and positions the score half way in between them.

A work round is to click in a blank space to cancel the old selection first.

Richard, I can’t see the passage in the project you’ve attached that shows the same material as shown in your original picture. Using the version of the project as you uploaded it here, how do you reproduce the problem?

IncidentalMusic1.zip (969 KB)
I did indeed get that wrong and have attached new score. The bars in question 47 & 58. I doubt you will get the same results tho as it is somewhat randomized.

Unfortunately I’m unable to reproduce the problem. Could you grab a little screen capture of the score jumping happening?

I thought I’d ‘jump in’ on this thread because I too often experience unexpected jumping during a typical workday in Dorico.

I don’t believe my jumping issues are bugs, rather they are unwanted behaviors involving the ‘lock duration’ tool and the ‘lyric’ tool. I know these jumping concepts have been discussed a lot on this list and I understand both sides of the argument. Last November, as a new user, I hadn’t yet formed an opinion on the matter, but now, after working in Dorico every day for a year now, I finally feel qualified to voice an opinion on this.

Here’s an example of an unwanted jump using the ‘lock’ feature. Today I’m orchestrating a musical theatre work, in which the composer has completely reworked the first 100 bars or so. Everything after bar 100 is unchanged. So I clear the first 100 bars of the flow and begin to update the piece. However, when working in this new opening section, if I use the lock duration tool (which I often do) and reach the end of a phrase, I am instantly transported many bars into the future. At which point I have scroll back to where I was. Simply having a preferences that temporarily limits this kind of jumping when using the’ lock duration tool’ would be very helpful to me.

Same goes for lyrics (again using this musical theatre composition as an example) when I reach the end of a lyrical phrase, I am jettisoned 100 bars into the future to the next lyric. This might be practical in some situations, but not mine, ever. This same jumping behavior effects extension lines at the ends of lyrics as well, which must be deleted and re-entered to fix. Perhaps the lyric tool should force the user to enter ‘two’ spacebars before it jumps over an empty bar rest??? That works for me. At the very least, I would also think the lyric tool could eventually be taught not to ‘extend a lyric line over an empty bar rest’ too. I experience many of these kinds of unwanted forward jumps during a typical workday. Usually I don’t bother to take the time to analyze why they occur, – rather, I’m just suddenly far away from the area where I was working. I’d love to have some more control with these two particular tools in a future update. Thanks.

I’m not using lyrics at all, and hardly ever use lock duration. So that doesn’t account for everything.

I am now unable to reproduce the event and didn’t lock anything yet as I’m still editing and cleaning up the score, but like billscores posted above there continue to be random jumps to somewhere else in the score.

If you can provide reproducible steps to allow us to replicate the problems, it will be possible for us to investigate and potentially improve things, but without reproducible steps there’s not a great deal we can do.

I’m starting to pay more attention to unexpected jumps since last posting here. Had one this morning upon clicking on the end of a long 8ba… line (I was trying to extend it over some newly created notes.) Except by clicking on it, I was transported to the beginning of the 8ba line, which is 20 bars backward, in which case I had to scroll back to where I was working. Unfortunately, immediately after extending the line as I intended, I now cannot reproduce this behavior. There must’ve been a unique condition right before my click that made this jump happen. I wish I knew what that was. I will continue to pay close attention to these.

Agree with Billscores, it’s not predictable and the two screenshots in my first post are probably the best I can do, but they do show the before and after.

I’ve experienced this, as well and, especially when redoing lyrics or changing notes using Lock to Duration, I’ve made a habit of stopping before reaching the last element in the chain before a long series of rests, as I know that the display will jump to the next similar element it finds.

I’ve also experienced unwanted jumps when I unwittingly leave an object selected and I happen to be scrolling somewhere else. Pressing a key can place the selected object back in view, occasionally even altering it undesirably and without my noticing it, due to my temporary confusion at being ripped away from the part of the score I was looking at. As I result, I’ve tried to make a habit of deselecting everything before scrolling elsewhere.

VS, this is incredibly helpful advice. Thanks.

Same.

I’m puzzled by this recurring answer of you, understanding well that you cannot do anything without a reproducible case, but I cannot imagine that it never happened to you or anyone of the fine staff at Steinberg. In the case it never happens in your office the question is why?
1- your working habits with D are perfect which is normal you know the program in and out ?
2- you only do one type of work with D : engraving
3- You dont use D the sometimes chaotic way we use it as composers,
4- you have those jumps sometimes but knowing the program inside out you understand what just happened, acknowledge your user error, smile, and move on.
5-
6-
there must be something different in our use of D ?

there have been many many posts about these unexpected jumps, so one thing we have to acknowledge is that those jumps happen to us users.

Claude

It’s simple, Claude: we can’t fix a problem we can’t reproduce. Staring at the code and making speculative changes won’t help anybody: it will only introduce other problems. I have never said, nor implied, that users do not experience what they consider to be unexpected movement of the music. We have devoted significant time to fixing the reproducible problems that have come to light in the past. But we can’t fix things we can’t see.

Daniel, to be honest, I think you are putting to much on us users here.

There have been lots of complaints surrounding the more or less same issue, and it seems to me that that should be enough for the Dorico team to spend some time investigating. It’ should not be our burden to spend some days to find a reproducable test case for you.
I have had one jumping bug that was very specific and I coud see it, undo the changes, redo them, see the bug againg - it therefore was reproducable in the moment -, but when I saved the project and opened it again (as you would do), the behaviour was all back to normal.

I am sorry to say that this jumping is very annoying, it occurs regularly, and I have not been - and don’t expect to be - able to produce a test case for you.

In all the Team’s copious free time, you mean?