D5 Audio Engine Crash by MIDI Keyboard sending SysEx (Mac)

Hello,
first of all: I like the features of the new app.
But a weird crash is really annoying:
When I press Octave up or Octave down (or any key on my MIDI-keyboard I use for input, which does not send standard midi data), D5 loses the connection to the audio engine (“Fehler beim Verbinden mit der Audio Engine”).
A look in a midi monitor app reveals, that the keyboard (Arturia Keylab 61 essential) is sending a SysEx-message, which is - afaik - the manufacturer ID (Sysex mfg:206B 12bytes).

This is repeatable and happens all the time with different audio devices, including internal audio. I have to force-quit D5.

It does not happen with Dorico 4, same project and VSTs.

System
MacBook Pro 13inch, M1, 2020, 16GB RAM
MacOS 13.3.1 Ventura
Steinberg UR816C
Roland RD-2000 (as audio device)
Arturia Keylab 61 essential

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.2 MB)

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for reporting this issue. It did not come up in our beta phase. But we will work on it, that’s for sure.

2 Likes

Quick update for @Markus_Wentz :
I could reproduce with ease that crashing of the audio engine when sending in SysEx data. Therefore a fix should not be too complicated. Will keep you posted.

1 Like

Thank you very much

Update : We have a fix for this and will try to get it out to you as quick as possible.

2 Likes

Good news! Thank you!

This looks a lot like some crashes (hangs, actually) I had today.
Fairly new MacMini M2 (16GB), Ventura 13.4, Dorico 5.0.10, NP 4.0 all working as a charm.
External CME XKey37 midi keyboard (plugged directly into USB-port on Mini) works for note input (including sound on my headphones), until I hit one of the octave shifts on the XKey37. Dorico hangs and has to be force-quit. No trace left of an orphaned audio engine in Activity Monitor. When restarting Dorico, it asks to send you the crash report, so you may have these Diagnostics already. Hope this helps!
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.1 MB)
(Edit to add: after restarting Dorico, the octave shift is applied after all :astonished:)

Hi @PjotrB , indeed, it looks like the same issue. @dspreadbury will get in contact with you.

Has this issue been solved? I’m also having the same problem. Same midi keyboard. Thank you. (Loving Dorico 5, by the way!)

@Arturo_Rodriguez ,

Welcome to the Forum.

Have you considered downloading the 30-day trial version to see for yourself?
If you decide on this, you may want to wait a few days since a number of us suspect an update to the program, perhaps including the routine @Ulf has alluded to , will appear tomorrow or next week (“very soon”).

Right, the fix is not released, yet. We wanted to have already a new version out, but found a showstopper bug again, but I’m confident that we will release very soon.

Edit: very soon = today :smiley:

2 Likes