Dal Segno - Sign missing

Where can i Find DalSegno-Signs and Coda and so on?

Look in Bravura aound slot U-E047 (for Dal Segno)

This is a very helpful tip. Thanks.
along the same subject - can one create a custom expression - or is there a way to add expressions that are missing in the “common” area of playing techniques?

This is an example:
Segno from Bravura font.png

No, I’m afraid not, but if there are playing techniques you think we should add, please let me know what they are and I will do my best to add them.

To add Segno & Coda symbols I loaded a small program called Unicodeinput. With this using the text option in Write, press Alt+ (plus sign on the numbers pad) and a box comes up into which you type E047 for Segno or E048 for Coda and the symbol appears! Then you have to remember to change its font to Bravura otherwise when printed (or looked at as a PDF) it is not correctly placed. Hope this helps someone.

This workaround seems to be a bit easier and needs no extra-app:

If You have installed opus or reprise, inkpen etc. create Systemtext (shift+control+x on mac), then choose opus special or ink pen special and just type „r“ for the Coda-Sign and „s“ for Segno

Chris

Dear trumpetfish,

your workaround works perfectly, but wouldn’t it make the file inconsistent, from a “fonts” point of view ? Ok, it is just a very little detail — and I am quite confident that Daniel and his team will provide us with a nice feature to input those signs.

Hi Marc,
if you only want bravura for more font-consistency then choose in the system text the bravura font and then copy and paste from this table:

I don´tknow why, but for me it works (with any sign I tried) and gives me the opportunity to do my work from know on with Dorico (with chord-symbols, repeat endings, system text from the last update)

By the way: if you did this once, you also can copy the signs from one Dorico project to another…

I will be very happy, if this workaround is no longer necessary and Dorico is able to fill in these signs and play it back correctly :wink:

Best wishes

Thanks for the tip, trumpetfish… I think I shared it last november :wink:
Nevertheless, it can still be useful for rookies reading this thread !

I need to add a coda symbol and tried this:

1. In Write mode, created system text at the desired location.

2. Selected Bravura font in the pop-up.

3. Typed the 5-digit code from the Unicode table - in my case, 1D10C for the coda sign. [EDIT: should have copied the symbol, not the code.]

The result was that the code appeared in my score, not the coda sign.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Bob

Creating segno or coda signs takes some time if you do it ‘from scratch’, but there’s a way to only have to do this once by creating a simple Dorico project file which contains all the symbols you might need and save it on your hard drive. You can keep this document opened when you’re working on other projects, and any time you need one of the symbols, you just copy that symbol from your document with the repeat signs to the document you’re working on. This reduces creating a segno or coda sign to a simple copy and paste procedure.

Here’s how to create a segno or coda sign: go to http://w3c.github.io/smufl/gitbook/tables/repeats.html and copy the symbol you need. In Dorico, choose [Shift]+[Alt]+ (= system text). In the top right of the dialog screen which appears you change ‘(None)’ into ‘Music Text’ (this changes the lettertype automatically to Bravura Text). Paste the symbol, and if necessary, adjust the font size.

Attached is a picture of the current state of my ‘back-up document’. For the record: I’m not using Dorico for professional activities yet, just learning how to work with the program and saving my breath until some features which I need on a daily basis are added, like rhythm slashes. I know some things can be done using workarounds, but I’m not in a hurry, so I can afford to wait until the ‘real thing’ comes along :wink:

Regards,

Stefaan

For a music notation program these characters are a basic necessity!!!
I thought they come with 1.2.
So wait, as you say… “until the ‘real thing’ comes along”.

Got it. I was copying the code instead of the symbol.

Like you, I’m just learning my way around. If I do any more work in Dorico, I’ll create a source file for copying and pasting - I did that for Sibelius years ago.

Unfortunately, I can’t yet switch from Sibelius yet. Last year I made a spreadsheet of my needed features, and while half or more have been added, there are still some important ones missing.

I actually forgot the the coda sign, segno, etc, were on my list, so I went looking for them in the documentation. I agree, Piano-EK, for me these are necessities, and I’m surprised they’re still missing after a year.

Thanks, Stefaan!

Bob

You’re welcome Bob!

Seeing the quality with which Dorico handles chord symbols and drum notation, it’s understandable that developing the program takes time. I feel it’s not a bad idea to wait a while to really dive into Dorico. For example, something seems to be wrong with the spacing of chord symbols in version 1.2. But this will probably be dealt with pretty soon.

Regards,

Stefaan

Dear Piano-EK and Bob,

Since it is possible (since day one, last year, october 19th) to input those repeat signs, and many other things that are not yet implemented “the Dorico way”, it is absolutely possible to work with Dorico. Of course, once those features are implemented properly, we will no longer have to copy-paste Smulf symbols. But don’t you think it is more efficient to work on features that are really not available right now, than to use that developing time to improve something you already can do (and that is not so time consuming) ?

Dear Marc,

I definitely understand your point of view. But there’s of course different ways to look at this. I’ve done with Sibelius what I’m doing now with Dorico, which is wait until I feel the time is right to start using the program. Version 1.4 of Sibelius was a disappointment to me, and if I remember well, I started to use Sibelius from version 2.0. For more than 15 years, I’ve grown with the program, and right now it’s the fastest way to do my work. Quite often, I come across leadsheets which I’ve made some years ago, where I used legacy chord symbols, which I now find quite annoying. I also come across scores where I entered text such as title, subtitle and composer directly into the score, instead of using the File > Info menu (probably because I didn’t know any better at that time). I’m not happy with the idea of starting to produce scores in Dorico with workarounds, and ending up in a comparable situation later where I wish I would have done things ‘the right way’ from the beginning. I really don’t see a reason to use lua script to make rhythm slashes now if I’m in the comfortable position that I can wait until rhythm slashes are implemented in Dorico, including the necessary copy and transpose functions. I remember the time in Sibelius when I would copy rhythm slashes from a concert pitch instrument to a transposing instrument and I would have to adjust the slashes afterwards. Nowadays, I don’t have to do that when I’m copying from for instance flute to alto sax, only when I copy from treble-clef to bass clef or between instruments that play in different octaves. Earlier this week, I’ve tried copying rhythm slashes from flute to alto sax in Dorico, and I had to adjust the ‘pitch’ of the rhythm slashes (because I was using slash noteheads with shortened stems). To me, this definitely feels like a step backwards. I don’t believe I’m going to win any time by using Dorico if I have to do this kind of adjustment all the time. And considering the quality of the features in Dorico, I’m hoping that the Dorico team will be able to program rhythm slashes in such a way that adjustment will never be necessary, even when copying between different octaves :wink: Apart from that, I really enjoy learning how to use Dorico without the stress of having to finish work in a program with which I’m not yet completely familiar.

Regards,

Stefaan

Dear Stefaan, I share completely your opinion and thank you for this clear Response.

Ditto everything Stefaan said.

For my purposes, Dorico clearly isn’t ready yet. Sibelius is more mature and feature-rich in areas important to me.

That is certainly a legitimate way to feel. I do think at this stage everyone has to evaluate their particular needs (and working habits) to determine whether or not it is worth switching. I’ve been incredibly fortunate and was able to switch more/less immediately but that is because I’m am doing simple, conventional, typically solo keyboard works which hardly stretches Dorico’s limits. I will be happy when repeat structures are fully functional however. That said, for others, I can totally understand why jumping in with both feet is a precarious prospect at the moment. Nevertheless, I’m still impressed with how feature-rich Dorico has become.