Danish Keyboard Language and unavailable shortcuts

Hi guys,
I’m on the trial version of Dorico 4 starting out. I do have a serious problem with key commands and I think the problem is my Danish keyboard… Many key commands didn’t work out of the box and some of them I had to change. For instance I don’t have a key that is “=” so had to change it in order to make accidentals, I can live with that. When I want to enter Galley View (Ctrl + alt +2) nothing happens. If I add a shortcut in the preferences and press ctrl + alt + 2, Dorico writes Ctrl + Alt + @. If I add this shortcut it does not work and does not get me into Galley View.

Before I invest alot of time in (re)-creating and testing all key commands from the ground up (sigh!) I want to ask for any advise from you.

Would love to start my journey with Dorico in a good manner!

Thanks!

-Simon

1 Like

Sorry to hear you’re having problems with key commands on your Danish keyboard, Simon. Certainly we don’t have any built-in default shortcuts for keyboard languages other than those found in the menu in the Key Commands page of Preferences. However, you should find that any shortcuts you define work, even if the display of the keys that appears in the shortcut box at the top of the right-hand pane doesn’t match exactly what you expect to see based on the symbols that appear on your keys. Provided you type the same shortcut that matches the one you specified in the editor, it should work with no bother.

If you want us to take a closer look, you can do Help > Create Diagnostic Report to create a set of diagnostics that will include, among other things, your customised shortcuts, and we could take a look to see if anything leaps out.

1 Like

Hello Simon!

As a Dorico user with a Swedish keyboard layout, in my experience, I find that installing an English keyboard layout (meaning that the actual keys on my keyboard will be remapped according to that keyboard layout effectively emulating an English keyboard) and switching to that while using Dorico works quite well. Of course you will have to relearn the meaning of some of your keys, but for me that went fairly quickly, and I know that there are built in shortcuts for switching between your installed keyboard layouts for both Windows and Mac, so once installed, switching between them is nearly hassle free.

1 Like

Hi,
Thank you both for your responses!
I’ve tried to make it work with my danish layout but ran in to problems. If I don’t in windows change my keyboard language my shortcuts in Dorico are very strange, because any time I for instance use Shift as a modifier, my shortcuts will be Ctrl + alt + @ for instance in stead of Ctrl + alt + 2 - so I had to change my windows layout to English, which is also confusing - for instance I have to know how to write a slash one the “english” keyboard layout when I enter chords, so I’m doing like Fridolito - and chnaging keyboard language all the time with Win + space shortcut.
I think it would be a good idea to add more keyboard layouts as it will make the transition quite a lot more straightforward for newcomers - I’m sure you are aware of this, just wanted to let you know.
Looking forward to getting deep into the (great) software - I’ve already seen all 135 Dorico videos from the youtube channel, now I have to put my knowledge into use!
Best,
Simon

EDIT:
I read this thread from 2 years ago with Daniel saying they have no plans to add more localisations… I hope that it will happen, though.

I think I have adapted by now - just to let you know!
I am btw using the feature in Windows settings:
“Let me use different input method for each app window” to make windows automatically change the keyboard language in Dorico only - and I’m still able to use win + spacebar, to change between danish and english layout.
Best,
Simon

That’s very convenient, had I known about that I might have gone the same way as you… I have instead redefined many shortcuts and also used external macros to be able to use some of the “dead” keys we have in the Scandinavian localizations (like ¨ and ´ that won’t be useable as shortcuts otherwise). A bit convoluted, but it also works.

I made this danish keyboard 4 years ago.

• The keyes are the danish ones.
      • The functions under the letter on the key are mostly Dorico’s own
      • The Functions over the letter works with shift and the key.
      • Some of them are shortcuts/keycommands I have made myself.
        Later I have made more and written them in hand on the page.
        It is really easy to make your own keycommands, but do not override Doricos own.
        Danish Keyboard note-input-shortcuts 16.pdf (2.0 MB)
1 Like