Dashed barline

I can create a dashed barline by entering ‘:’ into the popover.
But entering ‘dashed’ does not work.
Is this a known bug?

You have to type “dash” rather than “dashed”, but we will change this so that you can also type “dashed” in future.

Happy to use a colon… but am just running through the manual trying things.

Is there a way to create a double dashed barline in the middle of a bar.
At the moment I use 2 slurs and tweak the curves to straight lines.

No, at the moment there’s no such thing as a double dashed barline, Jack. Can you tell me more about the circumstances in which you choose to use this kind of barline?

Thanks Daniel,
Sometimes the end of a piece of music is in the middle of a bar with, a “fine”-sign. So I like to see a double barline there, but dashed.

That’s interesting, thank you. Please excuse my continued questions, but why don’t you use a regular double barline in this case? I think that would be what most musicians would expect to see.

I use all kinds of barlines (and have used a custom double-dashed one in F.) for meaning in more improvisatory music.
Dashed versions are also useful in MT scores to show possibilities.

In most cases a solid double barline is used, but in tutorials a solid double barline could be a bit confusing for young students…
No bid deal, I have a workaround. Thanks

As a long-time teacher, I had to chuckle:

1. Students are students in order to learn–and they will amaze you!
  2. Young students in particular are likely blithely to ignore the difference between bar lines and just play the notes and end where they are told (depending on how young they are).
  3. Although I have no problems with composers being creative with unconventional notation where needed, I expect that if one follows standard convention, young students will easily adapt.

Cheers!

One occasionally even needs a partially dashed double bar line at the end of a passage with an ossia:
Partial dashed double barline.png
Note also the large fermatas that need to be expandable, like slurs.

What are “MT” scores?

MT = Musical Theatre.

Thanks!

Hi all,

Just here to chase the previous unanswered question regarding the dashed barline in the middle of the bar?
I am working on a chart which incorporates one part identical to the others but offset by one beat.
I would like for this player to have visual access to their own part as well as the collective ‘part’ of the ensemble by including dashed barlines within each bar.
I remember doing this in Sibelius years ago on a different chart, but forget how it was done.

Thanks in advance!

Chips, you can add a barline at any rhythmic position. Select the note immediately following where you want the barline to be, Shift-B, “dash.”

Thanks Dan,

I haven’t made myself clear, although I did just try your above technique and it is a handy thing to know.
I wanted the dashed barlines to appear only on the individual part.
This enables the ‘offset’ player to read both their own barlines as solid, as well as the ensemble’s barlines as dashed.
Does this make sense? I’ll dig up an old example for a visual if not.

Dorico can’t do this, I’m afraid. You can’t show bar numbers using different styles in different layouts. You’d either need to use a duplicated flow with the barlines overridden for the parts, or you’d need to make a copy of the project and change all the barlines in the full score in order to produce the desired barlines in the part layouts. Either way you’ll end up with two versions of the music, one for the score and the other for the parts.