Dashed ossia barlines in piano quartet SCORE

I am writing stuff for piano quartet (violino, viola, violoncello, pianoforte). At the end of the piece, both violino and viola have short ossia passages. I want the ossia bars to be joined by DASHED BARLINES with the main staves.

So I go to great Engraving Options and choose this:

“1 Engraving Options.png”
1 Engraving Options

Consequently, both two PARTS are now fine with dashes barlines:

“2 Violino.png”
2 Violino

“3 Viola.png”
3 Viola

But in full score only the first ossia, violino, is having dashed barlines, the second, viola, is still having solid barlines:

“4 Score.png”
4 Score

How do I solve this full score ossia barline problem marked with question marks? I tried with “lines”, too, but that is not a real solution. I also tried some different player groupings. Didn’t help. What am I missing here?

Thank you, guys. :slight_smile:

In Engrave mode:
Click on the Violin ossia staff, Ctrl/Cmd-click on the Cello staff, click on Change Barline Joins
Change Barline Joins

Click on the Violin ossia staff, Ctrl/Cmd-click on the Violin (non-ossia) staff, click on Change Barline Joins.
If you have Join with dashed barline selected (and applied) in Engraving options > Barlines > Ossias, it should appear like this.

2 Likes

Fantastic. :slight_smile: The funny thing is that before asking on the forum, I did try also the “Change Barline Joins”, but did not do it properly. So thank you EVER SO much, Steven! :slight_smile:

I ran into a parallel issue today with an ossia.

I had a secenario where I needed to fake the effect of a cutout score, but it was for a psalm setting that had no meter, and the melody is notated with stemless notation and has tick barlines:

I found there were two issues I could not resolve:

1. even though my ossias were scaled to 100% (as an aside, I wish this could be a local override, and not only universal in engraving options) the dashes that appeared between the main stave and the ossia were not spaced the same as the “regular” dashed barline within the primary stave itself. You can see they are much more tightly spaced between the accompaniment and the voice, than they are within the accompaniment part itself. I also would have liked for the dashed barline to not even appear in the middle of the preamble. It looks odd.
  2. I could not find a way to prevent these dashes from rendering where there was a quarter/tick barline. The only way I could have made this work would have been to manually delete these in affinity publisher after export. (In the end I had to just turn off the option to link the ossia.)

Consequently, I’d like to see the scaling of the dashes the same throughout the score and not tighter between staves, and I’d like to be able to selectively prevent them from rendering (or at the very least, have them deactivated universally for partial barlines such as quarter and half barlines).

In this case, would you have been better off using Add Staff Above rather than an ossia?

I tried that and ran into a different problem, and I don’t remember what it was now.

I think it was that I couldn’t get it to start where I wanted? No matter, I think the requests are still reasonable.

Perhaps you should try again:

1 Like