DAW Controller.. click a track in Cubase, follow in controller

Hi Guys,

Have an Icon Qcon Pro x… Things would be a LOT easier if when I clicked on a track in Cubase, it switched to that track in the daw controller.

When I click on a track on the controller, it selects in in Cubase so why can’t it do the opposite? How could something like this not have been implemented?? Am I missing something?

Is there any custom software or anything that fixes some of these issues?

does the ico qcon pro x use the MCU protocol? i.e. mackie control? i have an old MCU, and it works. but perhaps icon has its own way of communication?

Yes, its mackie… I’ve seen others talk about this but I’m hoping there’s been a solution, mod, fix, update, etc.

So in Cubase, when you click on a track, your MCU changes to that track? (Not MCU first, then Cubase)

1 Like

Is there a solution to this? I just got the qcon g2 for cubase 12 and all is working great but this important feature. The g2 is not updating when cubase selections are made, this is really important to get this to work, any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

as far as I know this is a known issue that it isnt solved yet, all controllers have that behaviour with Cubase, even SSL, Behringer and so on

I heard that only the AVID euco controllers work correctly

(and I guess Yamaha Nuage, which is another kind of beast…)

dang, I was super excited since this controller works with Ableton and Cubase
I have confirmed this feature works in Ableton

For Cubase though, I have console 1 which seems to be one of the only solutions that does both, selects the software and the software updates the hardware

is the only other solution I can think of is then getting the softube fader with the console 1?
(and just waiting for Steinberg/Yamaha or someone to create a solution for this?)

Do I have that right, there is literally nothing else that works? (not even the x-touch does this?)

and which avid controllers work? (that seems too much of a gamble since one software update can make it useless with cubase)

Following Banks is difficult in MCU mode. If you make a remote from scratch, selecting a channel with the mouse will make the controller follow to the bank. But I don’t know if you can recreate all the functions an MCU has in the MIDI Remote. (plug-in preset browsing, timecode, easy display of information etc.)

I don’t know more than that, nor can I help you. All I know is that with my X-Touch Compact’s surface script, in plain MIDI mode, I click with my mouse on channel 33, and then I control channels 33-40 with my faders from 1-8. I don’t have to bank manually.

Plugin preset browsing is not currently handled by the API. All the other info, concerning plugins, is there :slight_smile:

1 Like

X-touch mapped with Midi Remote [with a script]?

Also, with Midi Remote [without using the API scripts :grimacing:] is it possible to make the motorised faders follow Cubase?

Thanks

Edit: X-Touch Compact It’s simpler than the regular X-Touch.

Yes. I have full motor control for faders, sends, plugin parameters. (If a plugin parameter is assigned to a fader, and it reads automation, it follows the parameter up and down using its motor.)

This was very easily done with the Surface Editor. No scripting.

It’s just now that I have attempted to start a script (in code), so that I can add functions like zoom in/out to encoders, etc… (but it’s quite hard for me - completely foreign to programming here - but I’m very lucky that @m.c provides me with solutions when I get stuck, so it’s not a lost cause yet. Big big thanks Mina!)

I don’t know if there’s anything special about this device, but I can’t say I’ve run into trouble so far. It also has an MCU mode, but I didn’t bother with that at all. I just started from a blank page with the Surface Editor, to put only what I need into it.

3 Likes

Thanks, I understand

When you say “Surface Editor”, are you talking about X-touch own mapping software? Or what?

The “design your own thingy” in Cubase, the MIDI Remote Editor in the lower zone (or a separate window). It’s quite some work though, creating and mapping all these buttons. Let alone trying to emulate the MCU assignments.

I don’t have any displays on the controller, so I didn’t even bother to check, but I don’t know if transport time display is availble for instance.

Behringer’s companion app I used to tell the Xtouch Compact what messages to send to Cubase. (Encoders inc/dec or CC? Faders as CC or pitchbend? What channels? This kind of thing.)