Daw sound engine logic.cubase.protools

- YouTube!

What do u think about this one ?
the tester says it was mixed on logic than copied with the same settings and plugins to cubase and protools.
for me cubase sounded blured and dark a little bit compared to logic and tools.

Hear in high res

:wink: yea i already saw it, and i know this subject as been discussed many times, but when i close my eyes i can hear the difference too, anyway the movie i linked does not necessarily put cubase on target(maybe its gray and not colorful as the others :wink: ).
also many who use several daws as logic samplitude protools and cubase most of them saying its much easier from start to achieve good sounding mix on the other daws.

i begin to believe there’s a thing about those statements.

The first time I watch the video and sound:
Logic sounds brighter than others with a very wide soundstage, Cubase sounds more balanced similar soundstage to Logic, Protools sounds flatter than Logic and Cubase with a slightly narrower soundstage.

Second listen only with sound no video:
Vocal in Logic seems louder and more compressed. Cubase and Protools sound the same.

I’m not sure if I should seek out therapy or a better set of monitors. Yeah, Yeah, I know - both…

Which leads me to believe that the only difference is that the vocal is different in the Logic mix which is influencing the rest of the sound. So I’m not sure I’ve learned anything other than don’t trust DAW tests on the Internet and I enjoyed the McGurk video - thanks Sir Joseph! Indeed perception is everything.

I checked it a couple times:
1st: ‘Wow, crappy compressed sound from Youtube’
2nd: ‘Wow, crappy compressed sound from Youtube’
3rd: ‘Wow, crappy compressed sound from Youtube’
4th: Wait a minute, the Russians are behind this! :smiley:

Interesting show, but I’m not sure, if the infromation says something.

In my opinion, we are mixing by ears (we should!). So if final mix sounds smooth, we can make it brither, very easy, and vice versa.

Questin is: can we make exactly the same mix in the Cubase/Logic/Pro Tools (and 3rd party plug-ins), by using ears? In my opinion, we can. In this case, it doesn’t matter, which sound engine (in DAW) do you use.

well youtube crappy sound not helping us that much but in Hi Res you can hear differences ,
The russians definitely are behind it :smiley:

logic indeed sounds brighter but its not only brightness,it sounds more focused clean and punchier.
maybe because it was mixed in logic in the first place. but the point is that theres should be no difference with
Daw sound when using the same plugins and settings !!!.

I seriously wouldn’t trust the Internet for such a test!

If you need to prove something like that do it yourself, various other daw shootout tests have nulled others say they don’t. who knows, who really cares?

Hi,

well, i think those comparisons leads us to nothing.
You can achieve professional results with any DAW on the market.

Its not the DAW, that matters.
Its the person who operates it, that matters.

Anyway, cubase is the best DAW for my needs.

Cheers,
Paul

I have worked many years with Pro Tools, Logic and Cubase/Nuendo.

for me Cubase has the best sound engine - for all audio situations.
Logic´s engine is the worst for me.
my opinion. Sorry.

erm…
why are you so insecure, Mozizo?
:wink: trust your own ears.

:laughing: :mrgreen:

Of course. Having these DAW’s sound different is a part of our secret plan to conquer the universe, Arjan P. :laughing:

Wow - funny test.

ProTools sound great.

Logic has less button and hyped higher mids. Terrible.

Cubase has some phase a phase problem. Terrible.

I wish DP was tested too…

Look kids
Just because some random dude posts a seemingly honest test on the web does not mean it’s accurate or honest.

It is compleatly worthless, ignore it…

This is true. :neutral_face:

Thats because you already tainted your perception. To truly “analyze” the audio with your ears, youd have to close your eyes, and…NOT KNOW WHAT ORDER the clips were in. Our brain is too smart to be able to close our eyes and trick it! Once you knew what DAW was 1st, 2nd and 3rd, it was all over. Your mind was made up. :wink:

The first time I watch the video and sound:
Logic sounds brighter than others with a very wide soundstage, Cubase sounds more balanced similar soundstage to Logic, Protools sounds flatter than Logic and Cubase with a slightly narrower soundstage.

Pan Law.

Dosvidaniya.

Oops! :blush:
Oh! Funny red face but didn’t we have Glasnost? Then Dynamo got a new pair of strikers or something?

Our brain is too smart to be able to close our eyes and trick it

so my brain is programed to hear cubase as the worst among them !! ?

i use cubase 5, i wish it was the best sounding in this example, but what can i say,its sounds the least in this example for my ears.
maybe in other examples it sound better, but many many technicians and music producer i know saying when they move to logic protools or samplitude their mixing got faster soundwise and better. with cubase they had to struggle with the sound and the end result was ok but not as clear has the other Daws.

maybe its not true but just wondering you know ! :unamused:

maybe steinberg should really focus on Audio engine improvements for next upgrade. phase problems maybe ?? who knows !!

Phase problems, yeah right. There is nothing wrong with the Cubase audio engine, and maybe you should ask your engineer friends why ProTools for instance until recently worked with a 24-bit fixed audio engine, making it much riskier to mix without internal clipping. While Cubase used a 32-bit float engine for ages. They probably don’t know, cause they went for the ‘industry standard’ marketing hype.

I mentioned ‘crappy compressed’ sound, because that’s what you get from online sources, even if they call it Hi Res. Try a real double-blind test (you and the person selecting the clips both don’t know which clip is which) with exactly all other things equal, and uncompressed audio, preferrably 96 kHz. Then see if you can find a difference. I predict they all sound the same.

I mentioned ‘crappy compressed’ sound, because that’s what you get from online sources, even if they call it Hi Res

if i can hear difference in crappy youtube sound, then in better format i should definitely hear the differences.
no doubt i can hear differences in this Vid, which one is better its a personal taste.

Umm…uhh…no. :astonished: :neutral_face: :smiley: Your brain is programmed to perceive/interpret, period. There are things that affect that perception/interpretation though (eyes, thoughts, beliefs).

What if, the creator of that “test”, secretly added a few plugins here n there, to alter the sound slightly and fool gullible people like you? You could be a victim of a trolling!! Perhaps WE are the victims here though…lol DO THE TEST YOURSELF. A random test, uploaded to Youtube is FULL OF FLAWS and unable to be “analyzed”, regardless of gullible interpretation. :wink:

Who really gives a flying funky futon though…? Not me! This kind of debate is completely pointless, but is debated beyond exhaustion because people are insecure and consumerism runs DEEEP! Plus they are prolly tired of making crappy music, so they look for something to BLAME, other than the real culprit (themselves). EVERY ONE OF THESE DAWS, can be edited to compensate for anything! Think its a bit thin? WIDEN IT! A lil too bright? DARKEN IT! E A S Y!

Quit with the stupid drivel.