dbfs

Hello all.

We have recently noticed that bounced wav exports where the master is set to give 0dB peak are not coming out anywhere close to 0dBfs - I’d say 3-4dB lower.

Does anyone know how to re-configure the metering to show dBfs?

Thanks

Sato - coderoom studios

Which metering and which “0 dB peak” are you talking about? Apart from that, Cubase meters do show “dBFs”…

The meter to the right on the fader on the output channel (also the peak value it gives you). They (those meters - if you can tell me another meter to look at I’ll be eternally grateful!) can’t be showing 0dBfs as I can turn it up without clipping, distorting or compressing the sound.

Like I said already: The Cubase meters do show digital Full scale levels.
I don´t really understand what your problem is, but depending on your used software, the meter can be switched between “input” “post fader” and “post panner”. Nevertheless, the meter scale is digital Full scale…

If that is the case why can they show values higher than 0.0?

edited to add …and why if you turn it up so that it is reading peak values above 0.0 does the resulting exported .wav have higher peaks?

Because Cubase works internally with 32 Bit floating point. That´s also the reason, why the only place in the mixer you get an actual overload- (or clip-) indicators are input- and output channels. Nevertheless, If you export to a fixed point format file, everything above 0 dBFs is clipped.

1 Like

Until now, I still do not even know what exactly you are doing, nor which software you are using, how / where you are playing back, if you have the correct meter view? Intersample peaks, incorrect routing, could be a lot of things…
In any case: Cubase meters show digital full scale - Take it or leave it!

Of course a mono channel set to peak at 0dBFS routed to the master out, panned centre will show -3dB due to the pan law. (depending on the pan law selected)