So… 8 years later and people still are getting this error… and people are sill needing to hack their way around… what is this? This is a big blunt middle finger to all the user base.
I created an account just to say this: I was getting the same error after a fresh install of the eLicenser, and I solved in with a different way… leaving this here for anyone whom the above solutions haven’t worked:
In my case, the problem arose because I installed the eLicenser while having my Steinberg USB interface (UR44) active in the computer (i.e. connected). It took me a bit of tinkering to figure out this was the issue. I stopped all audio/Steinberg programs, uninstalled the licenser, make sure all audio-related apps were set to NOT start at startup. Restarted the machine. Made sure all steinberg stuff was not connected, reinstalled licenser thingy, and it worked. Something in the installation had corrupted because the interface was connected while installed.
You gotta love Windows.