Decorative border for title page?

I’ve created a border for a title page (by creating a whole-page text frame for it and following the instructions for adding a border, hoping that that’s the way it’s done), and it works fine. But is this plain border the only option within Dorico? Some kind of decorative one would be useful, even if it’s only (say) a double border? On reflection, I’d be able to do that in any case by creating another text frame inside the other one. But are there other design possibilities?

At least for now, plain rectangular borders are the only option from within Dorico itself. If you want something fancier, it can be imported as a graphic.

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

There are lots of free border fonts.

https://www.1001fonts.com/border-fonts.html

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll take a look.

Looking at those border fonts I got an idea and I could not stop giggling until I made it. Behold:

(Although you couldn’t make this in Dorico either because for some reason it doesn’t support text above 200pt.)

2 Likes

Just made a Title Master Page using one text frame offset inside another with distinct border thickness. At least that sort of border is already possible.

2 Likes

One issue with using border / frame fonts is that there is a 400pt size limit. I requested this be removed a year or two ago but the last time I checked it’s still there. I have a lovely set of calligraphic frames but I can’t scale them large enough in dorico due to this limit.

Could you get around that by scaling the resulting text object, perhaps? I’m not sure…

1 Like

Interesting idea and one that I never tried. I ultimately decided it was too finicky in Dorico and just made my title pages in affinity where I could leverage layers to make things easier.

1 Like

It works! Look at all the super-tasteful things you can do with it… :laughing:
Apparently you can scale text objects up to 999%!

2 Likes