Default behaviour of fingering (piano)

I’m inputting some fingering numbers into a piano piece. By default, Dorico seems to place fingerings on the right hand (top stave) above the stave, and in the left hand (bottom stave) below the stave.

All good, standard convention, and makes sense. However, when there are multiple voices in one stave, shouldn’t voice 2 be under the stave, and voice 1 above the stave? And is there some option somewhere to modify this default behaviour? I’m changing each one in the bottom panel manually, but that’s time-consuming.

There’s probably a preference buried somewhere, but I can’t find it.

Thank you

Another slightly annoying behaviour in fingering is that, unless both notes in a 2 note chord (for example) are selected, Dorico won’t add multiple fingerings, is that right? I’m doing a lot more mouse-usage in Dorico than I’d like, the input of fingering so far feels really awkward and time-consuming.

You can use the arrow keys on your keyboard to navigate between notes, add the Shift key to select multiple notes, and type Shift+F to invoke the fingering popover.
Does that help you lose the mouse?

Yes, shift-select helps with that bit, thanks, although I’m still not seeing a quicker way to add in fingerings in second voices in the ‘correct’ place.

See the Fingering page of Engraving Options (click the link to see a picture that shows you the option you need to set):

Er, Daniel, that doesn’t work.

What’s with you this afternoon, Leo, following me around the forum and calling me out on stuff?!

The link works fine for me, so I’m not sure why it wouldn’t work for you. But in any case, the option EmmCeeSq is looking for is found in the ‘Position’ section of the ‘Fingering’ page of Engraving Options, and it is ‘Position of fingering relative to the staff’, which has to be set to ‘Follow voice directions’.

Not personal at all - sorry! And I’m not really following you around; I’m just reading unread posts…