Default bit depth and sample rate stubbornness

Wavelab won’t let me change the default/current bit depth and sample rate, it always reverts back to 24bit/48000. I use a Novation Nio. I previously had 16/44100 as my default then changed it to 24/48000, now it won’t change back.

I select Options>Audio Streaming Preferences>Control Panel (to open up the Novation USB ASIO Driver Settings window) and change the bit depth and sample rate to 16bit and 44100. I click ‘Apply’ to save the changes and the window closes. I immediately go back in there and it’s back at 24/48000.

My other DAWs (FL Studio and Reaper) are able to change the settings with no problems. Why is this happening and what is the solution? It’s a mighty pain in the backside.

As previously stated I’m running a Novation Nio on Windows 7 with Wavelab 7.11 (I also had this trouble with 7.0.1 but I can’t say if this started at this version number or if I only noticed it then).

Thanks in advance

What you say is not very clear, and there is certainly a missunderstanding. The bit depth is fixed by your ASIO driver, certainly 24 bit, and can’t be changed. The sample rate is set by WaveLab, according to the active audio file.

Apologies. Here are some screen shots of what I’m trying to explain.

The Novation Nio has what it calls the ‘Novation USB Audio Driver Settings’ window where you can change latency, sample rate and bit depth.

Here it is in FL Studio:

Here it is in Reaper:

Here it is in Wavelab:

All the above values are the what those programs call up as their default settings. Note that in both FL Studio and Reaper it shows as being set as 16but and 44100, and in Wavelab it shows as being set as 24bit and 48000. On the surface this isn’t an error, as each program can have their own default settings (i.e I can set Reaper up to have 24/44100, and FL Studio to have 16/48000 and these values will load each time I open each program), but I don’t want Wavelab to automatically open in 24/48000 I want it to open in 16/44100.

In both FL Studio and Reaper, if I wanted to change the settings I would open the ‘Novation USB Audio Driver Settings’ window, adjust the values and close the window. It will keep those values from that point and keep those values when I next reopen the program. In Wavelab, I open the ‘Novation USB Audio Driver Settings’ window, adjust the values, close the window and the settings do not change (I know this because it refuses to playback a file in 16/44100 without the Crystal Resampler). I reopen the ‘Novation USB Audio Driver Settings’ window to check the settings and they are set at 24/48000. Basically, Wavelab isn’t allowing me to change those values.

What’s confusing me is that Wavelab 6 and Wavelab 7 used to be able to let me change those values but now it won’t. I first noticed this behaviour in 7.0.1 but stuck with it because it wasn’t too much of hindrance. Now it’s got too much too much of a bother and I need to change the bit depth/sample rate. I hoped that it was a bug in 7.0.1 and had been wiped out in the latest update, 7.11, but it’s still being stubborn.

It is not possible to change these values when opening the ‘Novation USB Audio Driver Settings’ from the Start Menu (when a DAW isn’t running) which makes me believe that changing the bit depth and sample rate from within programs is the only way to do it, hence why I am posting here (I will post a picture of the ‘Novation USB Audio Driver Settings’ as opened from the start menu on new post as 3 attachments appears to be the maximum).

I hope this is clearer

Frank

Here is the screenshot of the ‘Novation USB Audio Driver Settings’ window as accessed through the Start Menu:

Cheers

Frank

changing the sample rate from within programs is the only way to do it

Of course yes. If you play a 44100 file then a 48000 file, you certainly don’t want to open a dialog for this. This is done automatically by WaveLab.

Philippe

But this is not being done by Wavelab, that is the problem. The functionality you are referencing isn’t available to me. I open a file at 16bit and 44100 and Wavelab tells me it cannot play it. I slot in Crystal Resampler and it works fine. I open a file at 24bit and 48000 and it plays fine without any further intervention. I want to change Wavelab so I can play files at 16bit 44100 without any Crystal Resamplers or anything else. I don’t understand what has happened or why my set up would be any different. Is there an option I am unaware of that needs to be checked or unchecked?

PG, I don’t know if you can see the screenshots without downloading them (they just appear as links to me) but they might clarify what may have been confusing you in my first post, so I would very grateful if you could check them out.

Thanks

Frank

Hi,

In WaveLab create sine tone with 44.1 and 48 kHz
with Audio Signal Generator and save as wav

now playback first 44.1 and then 48 kHz files, does it work ?

this works fine here with built in audio and with RME Fireface
and sample rate is switching between audio files

check audio device control panel for
same sample rate and that internal Master clock is selected

regards S-EH

Have you this option checked?
2011-07-08_06-26-22.png

Thanks for the replies.

S-EH, thanks fI tried that I got the result I expected from my set up. It played the 48000 and not the 44100.

PG, yes I do have that box checked.

I went to log a support ticket with Novation so I checked for updated drivers and found some from May. I downloaded them and now I am back to my original state of functionality where I can change bit depth and sample rate at will from the ‘Novation USB Audio Driver Settings’ window - yay! However Wavelab doesn’t seem able to change the sample rate when given a file at a different rate, as you both seem to be suggesting it should.

After updating the Nio drivers I now get this error message when I try and play something at a different sample rate:

Full marks to S-EH, I guess, for suggesting it was something to do with master/slave thingies (I’ve never had to deal with this before so forgive my ignorance). Seeing this, though, reminded me of a drop down in FL Studio:

Is this related? Notice how there is only one option for “Internal”. S-EH, is this option what you were meant by “internal master clock”? If this is the option that is being given by the Nio to FL Studio then is this the only option given to Wavelab, too?

Is this related? Notice how there is only one option for “Internal”. S-EH, is this option what you were meant by “internal master clock”? If this is the option that is being given by the Nio to FL Studio then is this the only option given to Wavelab, too?

Yes, Master clock can be Internal or External
so if you see a dialog with remark about the clock setting e.t.c
then check settings for your audio device and in software (WL7)

nice it’s working now :slight_smile:

regards S-EH