Delete bar in the middle of a flow

Hello!

Something went wrong when I wanted to change time signature here and I now have an empty bar. How to delete this bar without moving the music that comes after? I want to delete the selected bar that is only one beat long.

Thanks!

Never mind! I solved it, somehow!:slight_smile:

Glad you solved it - in this case, I would have recommended re-inputting the cutc time signature at the start of bar 74, then selecting the rest immediately before (in the 1-beat odd bar), pressing Shift-B, entering “-1” and pressing Return.

Dorico thinks in rhythmic positions, so if you deleted the odd bar, subsequent music would follow whatever the previous time signature was. So if you input the time signature again where you want it, that “fixes” that in place and changes you make preceding that have an “end” point (at least as far as bars/barlines are concerned).

1 Like

Thank you Lillie!

Even though I manage to solve it, I am happy to hear your explanation of how this works in Dorico.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello,
I had the same problem with a pickup measure I wanted to delete after entering some music.
But, really, do you think this kind of “intelligent” behaviour for such a basic operation is the easiest and more intuitive way to go?
Normally, if a user wants to delete a bar he/she doesn’t need the rest of the music to be shifted.
Imagine that you have a complex score and, for some reason, you don’t notice that the software moves all your music based on this “intelligent” behaviour…
It’s a non-intuitive mess.
And of course, if the user has to add a pickup measure at the beginning of a piece after entering music, the music is moved accordingly.
Give the user the possibility to unselect this kind of functions, please!

When you just want to delete a bar and not disturb anything else, use the system track.

It is what I did at first: the music is moved accordingly. In other words: Dorico erases the measure AND anticipates the music by the exact pickup duration erased.

I don’t think I am understanding your scenario. Can you illustrate?

Try to delete the pickup bar with the system track. If you do not adopt the procedure outlined by @Lillie_Harris, the music is anticipated by an eighth.

example.dorico (1004.0 KB)

Now I see, thanks. This is a different case from the OP because it is a pickup bar at the beginning. You have to change the meter in a separate step. You can do it either before or after deleting the unwanted pickup, with the same result.

I was confused by “doesn’t need the rest of the music to be shifted”. In fact we do expect the music to shift, relative to the start point, but the problem is the barlines did not also move, because the meter didn’t automatically change to no-pickup.

Does anyone else have a comment on this kind of edit being confusing for the user?

Yes, I mean: this is a very risky behaviour for an app…Basically, when a user wants to delete a bar (or a pickup measure) He/she just wants that: “DELETE A BAR” without an “intelligent” function underneath to mess up the score.
I had the same behaviour adding the pickup bar…simply, I decided to add it later (it happens to change ideas composing music): Dorico anticipated all the music…OMG, why?

Don’t panic when you see the notes on different beats! All you have to do is make the meter(s) what they should be, and all the notes will be unharmed by any temporary rebarring. You can even delete all the meters and start over if you want without affecting the notes.

Yes, of course, I selected all and moved (easily, because concerning that Dorico works fine).
But I ask why one should make things more difficult than they should be.
There are many examples in Dorico of “intelligent” behaviour that a professional musician simply doesn’t need. And one should be able to deactivate this kind of functions.
Luckily, the team is very receptive to users’ needs.