Deleting bar lines, etc. - suggestion

Daniel,

I often work in scores that are already laid out, and I just need to add my part to them. Sometimes this requires me to write stuff and then listen to the playback. Depending on how it sounds, I then either leave it or make changes. Sometimes even scrapping my original idea completely.

I have notice that using the marquee tool to select multiple measures of music, to delete what I added, also sometimes selects the bar lines, or the time signature, etc. So hitting delete can remove some bar lines, some time signatures, etc.

I think a way around this would be to have a marquee selection tool menu, where you can tell it not to select bar lines or time signatures or other items. But then have something like ctrl+click, alt+click, etc. to force a selection. Similar to not being able move note without meaning to move note. It would be nice not to be able to accidentally delete bar lines, time signatures, key signatures, etc., without specifically telling Dorico that you mean to do what you are doing.

Robby

As I’ve said a couple of times, we plan to change marquee selection such that it doesn’t include barlines, except those that are given rise to by an explicit time signature, special barline, or bar number change. I think this will take care of almost all cases without giving rise to any further problems.

Daniel,

Sorry, I must have missed that being said before. I am not intentionally trying to have you repeat yourself. I guess part of my suggestion is that maybe for some reason, someone would want to delete a bar line (perhaps creating a work sheet for beginning musicians to fill in where the bar line should go). It would be nice to still have that flexibility to do so.

Although, in thinking of it, I guess one could simply create a “no bar line” bar line.

Robby

Sorry if I sounded tetchy when stating that I had said it before – that was certainly not my intention.

You will still be able to delete barlines even once they are no longer part of the marquee selection: you’ll just have to click on them deliberately and individually (or using Ctrl+click to select multiple barlines in turn) first.

Daniel,

By no means did you comments come off tetchy. I just read a lot of posts, and I am always amazed as to how much you actually do repeat yourself. I try hard not to have you do that. I know it must get VERY old doing so.

Sounds good about bar lines. Would the same be true for time signatures? Will they now have to be deliberately selected?

Robby

No, the plan is that time signatures will still be selected by marquee selection, because they’re really there, but regular barlines will not.

I am curious…

If you are working in a score, with other instruments that have music, and you want to delete music for 1 instrument that goes over a time signature change. Will there be something in place, to prevent you from deleting the time signature that applies to other instruments as well?

Robby

You’ll need to be careful not to select the time signature in that case, as things stand.

Thanks Daniel!!! Wish I could make it out to Nashville or NYC to see you in action. But, alas, I have to be at work.

Robby