Deleting (not hiding) time signature

Morning all.

I have ended up in a situation in which I insterted a bar in between a bar of 3/4 and a bar of 4/4, resulting in: 3/4, 4/4/, 4/4.

I changed the time signature of the middle bar to 3/4, which worked (but also created a bar with a single quarter note rest, which I deleted). Now I have the situation shown in the top row of the picture below: 3/4, 3/4, 4/4 - this is what I want, but obviously don’t need the second 3/4 to be stated.

When I try to delete the repeated 3/4 time signature it doesn’t actually delete it, it just hides it (as in the second row in the image). Trying to delete the red box doesn’t do anything.

Any ideas of how to completely remove the repreated time signature?

Mark, what happens if you delete the red Signpost?

Nothing - it remains

Mark, try to switch Mode (from Engrave Mode to Write amode), then delete the Signpost.

I’m working in Write mode as it is not possible to delete time signature markings in Engrave mode

Mmh, if you click onto the 3/4 time signature and look down to the properties panel: are there any properties set?

Select it and hit delete…? (Works here anyway)

As the OP stated in his very first post:
“When I try to delete the repeated 3/4 time signature it doesn’t actually delete it, it just hides it (as in the second row in the image). Trying to delete the red box doesn’t do anything.”

I have come across this situation, too.
When you delete it, this time signature disappears and you get a red signpost, denoting the hidden time signature, appears instead.

I was quite confused that deleting something does not actually, well, delete it.

Actually, I can delete it, no signpost appears.

It seems to work for time signatures that you put in manually.
Those time signatures that are created automatically as a result of another time signature change seem to be a bit different…

hmm… maybe make sure to remove the bar with the extra beat in it, by using ‘shift-B -1’ first

markbowler,

I tried to reproduce what you 've done (inserting bar, canging time signature, deleting 1/4 bar, …). I can delete the 3/4 time signature by selecting it and pressing backspace.

I think it would be helpful if you posted your file here so that we (or the Steinberg team) could have a look at it.

Thomas

Hi Thomas.

The problem was related to an earlier insertion of a bar.
I had two bars: 3/4 then 4/4;
selected the 4/4 barline, shift+b +1 which insterted a bar of 4/4, so I then had 3/4, 4/4, 4/4
Changed middle 4/4 to 3/4, so I had 3/4, 3/4 (repeated), a 1/4 bar without a time signature which I deleted, 4/4.
Then I needed to delete the repeated 3/4 time signature, and it was this one created by this method that casued the issue.
When I deleted that 3/4 bar entirely and created a new bar by instead selecting a note (rather than a barline), no problem!
I am not sure if this was user error or a little bug, but long story short: I won’t be creating new bars by selecting an existing barline to begin with in future!

I see what you mean Mark, having the exact same problem here. Now in th parts the multimeasure rests are split which they shoudn’t. I will try to delete the entire bar (after copying the content. Then add the bar and pasting the content. I will let you know in a minute

so, it worked

sorry, it didn’t

To delete an unwanted time signature: select it, and press Delete.

the way I got around this was to add a few extra bars, carefully copy and paste the material into the new bars (without copying the time sig) then adding a few more bars after the paste, then deleting all the extra ‘buffer’ bars (as I call them)…it’s like the time sig info extends behind and in from to itself…

Totally unnecessary!

Take a little time to experiment with adding/deleting time signatures. Dorico will not lose your notes as you delete or add different time signatures.