Deleting rests again

Rests again.dorico (2.1 MB)
I have tried all evening and I watched all videos about -deleting a rest- but how to get rid of the 2 blue quarter rests in bar 11/12?
I clicked ‘end voice’ in the properties panel of the previous note. Hoped this would do the trick but no. Even ‘Write-Edit-Remove rests’ did not work.
Anyone?

This is a bit of a “fudge”, but it achieves the appearance you want.
Read the warning at the end if playback is important.

In Write mode, select the slash region which starts at bar 6.

In the Properties panel, click on Show other voices.

Click on the first slash in that slash region and shift-click on the last slash - this should select all the notation in between.

Edit > Filter > Deselect Only

Edit > Filter Slash Regions - this should de-select the slashes and leave everything else selected

Press delete

Select the slash region again

In the Properties panel, de-select Show other voices. For me, this resulted in the disappearance of the quarter rest at the end of bar 11.

Use the same procedure for the following slash region which starts on the second beat of bar 12, with the following difference.

After clicking on Show other voices, shift-click on the final eighth note in the hi-hat (not on the final slash).

After filtering out the slash region and then pressing delete and de-selecting Show other voices, I was left with a bar rest in blue. Normal attempts at deleting it did not work, but the following steps seemed to achieve the desired appearance:
Select the Sn. Dr. note at the start of bar 13. Use the keyboard shortcut which is normally used to move a note down an octave (on a Mac this is cmd-opt-down arrow), then up an octave followed by the keyboard shortcut to move up a second (opt-up arrow). The bar rest disappeared. However, if you select the slash region and click Show other voices again, the rest re-appears. You can use the previous step to make it disappear.

➤➤ The one big caveat with this procedure is that it deletes the notation in the other voices underneath the slash regions. If playback of those notes is important, I would suggest creating another drum kit part, copying all the existing notation into it, then editing the one of them so that it looks the way you want. If the drum kit is going to be part of a score with other players, then exclude the unedited kit part (the one with the unwanted rests) from the score layout and exclude the edited kit part from playback.

Edit - Leo and I posted at the same time. Try his method first!
What I have described is based on editing what you have already entered, within your existing voice setup. Leo’s recommendation is the better way to go (by far), particularly if you are starting a drum set part from scratch.

As per the Note towards the top of this page - Deleting rests - you cannot delete rests on percussion kits. You actually can on the iPad version, and will be able to in Dorico 4, but in the meantime you need to work around it by using a single voice for your percussion kit and then utilising Extra Voices (Edit/right-click > Percussion > Change Voice > Extra…) when you need multiple voices.

1 Like

Wow Steven, That’s a masterpiece. I followed it to the letter and it worked. I think you mistaked bar 13 for 12 somewhere in the middle but it did the trick.
Although I start liking Dorico a lot (!) this sort of cumbersome procedures to delete a rest is not Dorico-worthy.
Good to hear Leo say there will be a solution in Dorico 4.

Thanks for your input guys!

Yes, you are quite right.

I still recommend (and prefer) using Leo’s method when creating a drum set part from scratch. It makes it so quick and easy to remove the rests when they occur. Mine was based on the assumption that the example you posted might have been a short extract from a much longer project and therefore to re-enter the whole thing (with a different voice setup, etc.) just to fix a few beats would have taken a lot of time - comparable to having to re-write a whole page of a hand-written letter because of one mistake somewhere on the page. Until Dorico 4 arrives, far better to use a method which expedites corrections.