Deleting unused bars

Does anyone know how to delete usused bars from either the end or middle of a flow?

At this point, the best I can do is to delete bar LINES, which ends up giving me bars with too many beats in them. I’m looking for something a bit more aggressive. Any thoughts?

put the caret at the position you want to delete from (or select a note/rest/something at that position), Shift+B, then enter -1, which will delete one bar across all players/instruments. You can enter any value of course. Deleting barlines is probably not what you want, because that effectively creates a bar with an irregular length (and that currently happens quite easily with a generous marquee selection).

AHA!

Very good, very logical. Thanks a ton!

I can delete bars in the middle, but I’m still unable to delete an empty bar at the very end… anyone?

On the Write menu, there’s a Trim Flow option. If that doesn’t work, there is probably something protruding into the bar.

Thanks, will try tomorrow. Done with Dorico for today :slight_smile:

I think it might depend on what you select. I selected the bar line of the bar I wanted the final measure to be, and it worked fine.

On Mac, I can’t remove the last bar by choosing its left barline, but menu Write > Trim Flow does the trick.

What do I do if I want to delete only the notes in several consecutive bars and keep the barlines? I keep on deleting the notes AND the barlines when using the marquee tool. Do I have to select and delete every single bar in Version 1.0?

Thanks!

You can Ctrl+click the barlines to remove them from the selection before you hit Delete. In due course we will change marquee selection such that the barline doesn’t get selected unless it’s actually a time signature.

Ok, here’s the screen shot of my current file. I have the music back but I have no idea how I got all these players in the flow. I managed to delete redundant flows, but not the players. It probably happened trying to import into my template.

I’m not sure this four year old thread is entirely relevant to your question… Anyway, you have the music ‘back’, what happened? Did you inadvertently delete something, did you lose it in a crash?
Duplicate players are often a by-effect of importing into an existing project. In this case, the (unnamed) main player maybe doesn’t even have a valid (named) instrument. Piano 1/2/3/4 all have their own part layouts, so it should be easy to see if there’s music in them. If you already deleted unwanted flows, I guess they’re empty now, in which case it’s safe to also delete the (players) Piano 1/2/3/4 and their corresponding layouts.
But if you are unsure if your document is in working order, it might be a better idea to post the actual project here (zip it before uploading), so that we can take a look under the hood.