Detect Silence Procedure to create stripped bounced audio files with ascending numerical titles

Hi guys,

I don’t know if any of you can help.

I am using Cubase12 on a 2018 MBP with Monterey 12.4.

As a solo guitarist Vocalist, I have a massive Project file that I use as my live performing engine (backing tracks, guitar sounds, midi control etc etc).

As the MBP only has 256GB of Flash Ram and is also used as my main computer, it is important that I keep the audio files (24 bit 16k) as small as possible.

I have previously used detect silence in all earlier versions of Cubase on the file the whole length of the song to strip out silence (strings not in all the way through, bass gtr enters after into, reversed cymbal only happens twice in the whole song etc) to reduce the audio folder to as small as possible.

Previously, detect silence I am sure stripped the silence from the file and created numerically consecutive individual audio files but in Cubase 12 creates ranges in the pool that follow that pattern but does not write them back into the project.

What I have been doing is bouncing each audio part in the arranger window and manually renaming them and I am sure there has to be a quicker way but can’t figure it out.

Your help would be appreciated, thanks.

Pretty much all edits in Cubase are non-destructive on the original audio file, so I don’t think “detect silence” ever create new, smaller audio files (at least it doesn’t in 11), it just creates new events that reference the audio file
What you could do, if you want a separate file for each event, is “Render in place” with the mode “as separate events”.
I had another idea, and that is to set the Record File Format in the Project Settings to “FLAC”, which would also save space, but sadly “render in place” always renders WAV files. Which is weird, because “Bounce to file” follows the project settings and creates FLAC files.
That means that actually Bounce To File could be a viable option for you, depending on how much silence there is, FLAC could compress better than strip silence/render in place.
I did a quick test with a vocal track that was where roughly half of the time it was silence. Result:
Original (44.1KHz/24bit WAV): ~30MiB
Bounce with FLAC (44.1/16bit): 8.5MiB
Render in Place (44.1/16bit WAV) summed: 10.5MB

So in this case, Bounce with FLAC wins, and you don’t even have to use “detect silence”.

Or just get an external SSD drive for your Cubase projects :wink:

Totally Logical Fese and thanks for answering but it doesn’t answer the question of why the delete silence procedure doesn’t appear to work the same way in Cubasae 12 as in previous versions.

It shows the files split with the correct names as ranges in the pool window but how do you get them back into the project at their correct positions.

Also, sorry Fese I hadn’t seen your original answer and thanks for that.

I will look into it friend.