Device Setup>ASIO Driver>Control Panel won't open

I think this is an M-Audio problem.

I love my ProFire 2626. It’s a very solid interface. But this is super annoying. I hate having to quit cubase because I forgot to change my latency between mixing and recording.

By the time I’m done with a project, even if I freeze instrument tracks (although usually not effects), I am at the top of my ASIO capacity, especially once I turn on a Ozone 5. But then I want to record one last vocal line… gotta quit Cubase to change latency… sigh.

It’s one blemish on an otherwise stellar interface.

wow pretty much the same exact scenario here… if it weren’t for ozone 5 this probably wouldn’t even be an issue for me.

Hi @ all,

just for clarification:

If the control panel does not open, this issue is directly related to the software package of the ASIO device.
So some developers have integrated that feature in their software, but some not.
Often there is as well an override function of the sample rate related to these devices, which is definitely an error because the ASIO standard does not support this. The result will be that you think you have got a transpose change while you have exported your audio- mixdown, But this is not the case. The Cubase project is correctly setup at a current sample rate, but the ASIO device is not playing back the correct sample rate. This is related to a bad ASIO driver and maybe its Windows Media driver as well.
(Some devices have as well a hardware switch for the sample rate, which also overrides the project sample rate.)

Cheers,

Marcus

1 Like

And same here: Cubase 6.5, Win7 x64, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 (DSP)

Marcus: you discussed 2 of the 3 issues, but the 3rd issue is really the one we all care about the most. Why do some audio interfaces disable the ability to change buffer (latency) while
Cubase is running? Even if ‘release ASIO driver when in background’ is set? It seems like many m-audio interfaces and apparently also Focusrite ones can’t change buffer until you exit Cubase, and we know how slow it is to boot Cubase and load a big project. Even on a top-tier system.

Hi lights,

I think point 3 is also clarified in my post.

If you can not open the control panel, you can not change the sample rate, the communication between Cubase (other DAWs are also affected) and the ASIO device is not possible while Cubase is open and the sample rate can not be changed.
All three issues are related to the software package and the ASIO driver.

This has to be fixed by the developer of the audio interface itself.

So I really understand your trouble, but we can not solve this in the Steinberg HQ.

Cheers,

Marcus

You are not alone :smiley:

I have the same problem with my MOTU ULTRALITE MK3
I can open control panel only from start menu, when i tried open from device menu of Cubase - Cubase stop to working !

Marcus: to clarify–we can open the control panel’s stand-alone app, just not from within the Cubase ASIO settings dialog’s control panel button. Is that the issue then? Want to know what to ask M-Audio to fix!

If you could provide exact technical details here on this thread that we could all forward onto m-audio, Focusrite, and MOTU here in te forum, we can be your army to ensure better compatibility! Use us!

There seem to be differences: I can open the control panel from the Windows tray and Adjust settings with Cubase open; others can open the control panel from the Windows tray but are not able to make changes until/unless Cubase is closed.

Steve.

Steve: can you also open the control panel from the control panel button within Cubase’s ASIO setup dialog?

No I can’t - not since moving to 64 bit Windows. I remember a discussion on the M-Audio forum relating to the Audiophile 24/96 where M-Audio agreed their 32 bit control panel would not allow Cubase to open the control panel within Cubase.

Steve.

Marcus, what do you say to this?

It seems like the ability to view the control panel within Cubase is not the gating factor to whether or not we can change latencies while Cubase is running. To be clear, we can all get to our ASIO device’s control panel, we just can’t do it from within Cubase – apparently because the control panel is a 32bit app and we’re all running Cubase 64bit.

But still, some devices allow us to change latency wheras others don’t.

I’m not implying this is a Cubase issue, but would like enough detailed technical information about what needs to change in the device driver/control panel that we can all go back to our various manufacturers and demand they change it :slight_smile:

2015 here, still can’t open control panel, any help?

1 Like