Did 'Play Selection' protocol change?

It seems I can - only - play selection now?

Wasn’t this an option or modifier in 6?

1 Like

I can’t tell whether this is supposed to be a bug complaint or a request for a new feature.

what is there not to get? read

OK, I’ll be charitable and say it’s a request for a new feature, since it certainly isn’t about a bug. I don’t care about SL 6. I read the instruction manual for SL 7 before I downloaded the program and installed it, so, unlike you, I wasn’t caught at least twice by surprise when it came time to use the app.

If SL 7 falls short of your expectations, go back to SL 6. There’s nothing stopping you. Since I’ve started using the latest version of SL 7 Pro, I haven’t found any actual bugs that need addressing, as distinguished from features that I might like added at some point. Hope this clarifies things for you.

I am not exactly sure what you mean. I have SL6 and SL7 open side by side. With a selection, pressing play starts playback in both versions. Without a specific selection, play starts playback in both. Scrub tool works as expected in both. And in Preferences I really dont see anything that points to this.

thx!

As balinas says, selections always took control of playback, since the very first version of SL.
Actually SL7 is the first version to introduce the possibility to play outside an active selection, using the Playback Tool: Playback (see “Ignore Selection”)

Hi, I’m talking about full band playback vs selection preview playback… I thought there was a way to differentiate in SL6 whereas now in SL7 I only get selection preview playback (ie it will only play selected frequencies)

1 Like

Ah, I see what you mean. This is related to your other topic: BUG? Harmonic Selection Preview gone in v7? - SpectraLayers - Steinberg Forums
The selection system was rewritten from scratch in SL6, and it lost this ability. It will likely be reintroduced in SL8.

I don’t know for sure if it’s related in the way you’re thinking. Yes, the ‘preview selection playback’ problem applies to all selection tools including the harmonics selection tool, but, I’m talking about the little cursor 1 pixel lines that would appear before making a selection, these are now gone. It was useful to see if #of harmonic bands, matched with number of what user is seeing in the audio.

In regards to the ‘preview selection playback’ option, it was fairly integral to have full band regular playback when “deleting” a gradient selection incrementally until getting the desired result to ear. This can no longer really be done, without deselecting, or just “guessing” when the right amount of ‘deletion’ has occurred.

1 Like

It seems the link Playback Tool | Spectralayers Pro 7 Tutorials - YouTube is exactly what @vncvr is mentioning that seems to be missing per the video around the 2:17 mark. It isn’t working for me in SpectraLayers Elements 7. So I’m confused on it will likely be in SL8. I agree with @vncvr it is very useful in determining the correct edits by quickly listening with and without the selection edit changes while maintaining your selection ranges.

1 Like