Did we get Gapless Recording in this release?

I would really like to be able to make changes, add tracks etc - on the fly - while recording is happening.

This wasn’t the case in 10 Pro. So often there would be blips and silences when making changes that effected the audio stream internally in cubase.

Ableton mastered gapless recording ages ago.

Have things improved at all in 11?

No. There are still hiccups when adding tracks/VSTs etc in version 11.

No, and I hope they wont. Gapless engine means Cubase will not adjust latency compensation until you stop playback or recording.

Of course it doesn’t mean that. It’s entirely possible to work around that issue.

1 Like

I hope they manage it sometime…

We wouldnt even notice the milliseconds of drift time introduced in realtime to the playing audio… might even be a pleasant effect😂

Very do-able;)

I wonder where this myth comes from. I wrote elsewhere. No problem with Live, Logic or Studio One and I believe Protools added it last year or something.

1 Like

Its not a myth, those Daws with gapless engine are not calculating delay compensations until you stop playback.

Yes it does and no its not. If you want the latency to be recalculated and tracks adjusted for it, there is bound to be a gap.

sigh, you show a basic misunderstanding of the problem and how to work around it - keep perpetuating your myths if you like, makes no difference to me.

I’d happily take a few milliseconds of offset latency over the constant interruptions to the audio stream. Of course this would be rectified as soon as you press stop. It’s the most annoying thing about Cubase imo.

1 Like

Its not a myth, those Daws with gapless engine are not calculating delay compensations until you stop playback.
[/quote]

OK let me ask you this.
I have only one audio track playing. No plugins inserted anywhere. Just raw audio data. While it is playing I add an empty audio track and Cubase glitches. Where does PDC get involved in this scenario? No plugins, no recording, nothing. You are saying when you do this in other DAWs the first track is out of time? This is not true at all.

1 Like

I wish someone from Steinberg break the silence and chime in about the subject and put an end to it.

1 Like

Ha! That would solve a “lot” of discussions here in this forum. :wink:

Still same engine I believe, I think making it gapless would involve an entire rewrite which would be a massive undertaking. In Cubase’s favor though it is a lot more responsive with audio once in the sessions than say Logic, Logic always takes 2 seconds to update to audio to match any adjustment ( nudging / transposing etc ) whereas Cubase is immediate with any change.

I always just create a bunch of empty tracks if I know I’ll need them that way no interruptions, at least when creating tracks.

I use templates that already have all the tracks that I need but that still doesn’t help when I have to add/delete VSTs. Just have to stop the music if I can’t stand the glitch.

Acutally I just took a sneak peek into Studio One 5 (Artist) and I felt quite ok with it within a few minutes. It is kind of more consitent with the GUI and menus etc. Although, using Cubase for so many years, it is really feeling so different to navigate around.

But, I directly noticed the gapless audio engine. And so far I haven’t heard anything negative in regards to performance within the application (but there was something not to well in the initial v5 release). So, gapless was never a high demand from me but it felt so nice not to have any interuptions when changing, removing and adding FX, tracks etc. Would be a nice thing to have in Cubase

1 Like

My fix for that is keep an instance of something like Plogue’s bidule in the rack (or optionally in a rewire instance, which can be advantage for a larger and more flexible bidule setup where one wants more control over processor thread assignment). I can then add/remove VSTi plugins in the bidule instance, and even tie in effect plugins from there and Cubase doesn’t glitch. With Bidule hosted as a plugin in Cubase, VST lanes show up in the DAW for hosted instruments, or can convert VST controls to/from MIDI based controls if needed/preferred…plus it provides OSC support that comes in handy if one wants to integrate some of that into a project as well (also possible to stage an instance of bidule stand alone combined with a virtual MIDI port and convert OSC into MIDI for a Cubase Generic Remote setup, as well as doing other advanced MIDI controller enhancement tricks before the signal hits a Cubase input).

For me it doesn’t matter most of the time…but there are cases where I know I’ll want to add/remove things while the project is playing with no glitch, and the bidule trick works for me. The work flow is something like…open a bidule instance that’s already in the Cubase rack. Have Bidule load whatever plugins I want and set them up before dragging it into the signal chain. While it’s often not necissary, one can take the precaution of setting up an A/B signal flow with a toggle or crossfader and get seamless A/B transitions across multiple signal chains, and such transitions can be automated from VST lanes, MIDI events, or OSC instructions if desired. Cubase has no idea we’re messing with things at this level, so it just keeps streaming along.

Bidule isn’t cheap (but less than a full version Cubase upgrade), and it’s not pretty to look at, but it’s very powerful/useful and has become a major swiss army knife sort of plugin that’s been well worth the investment. For both MIDI and Audio, it monitors, bridges, transforms, converts, modulates, records, plays, hosts, chains, supports multiple plugin types (VST2, VST3, AU) in the same instance, and bidule versions with discrete processing modes (threads independent of the audio clocks) also exist. Add an instance of the free ReaStream plugin, or set up jack2 on multiple rigs, and things can really get interesting if one wants to bridge plugins hosted on totally different machines over a LAN.

For those holding out simply because of the latency compensation issue - Steinberg ;Just give us a “LIVE MODE” option easily accessible for when we want it.

Let the user choose when and if they would prefer gapless ( alone with Clip launching etc ) for situations when one is exploring, wanting to just make stuff and JAM on the fly - versus something where latency is critical.

The benefits of supporting “flow” when composing and improvising fast - WHEN that includes exploring plugins and sonic options on the fly cannot be underestimated.

I can totally understand the gap when high latency plugins are introduced or removed during playback. And for that I prefer Cubase way instead of a glitchy sound.
What I do not understand is we get this almost with every kind of operation. Creating an empty track, deleting an empty track, inserting a simple eq or synth that has no significant latency etc.
Insert a Kontakt and get silence for 10-15 seconds.
I believe no matter what you do Cubase gaps to re-calculate everything to make sure all is in sync. It does not differentiate if the operation induces latency or not.