DIfference between 'Render in Place' and 'Bounce Selection'?

Hi, I’m just looking to clarify and see if someone can provide a simple explanation (for dummies!) about what the difference is between “Render in Place” and “Bounce Selection” - or when I should use one instead of the other.

Thanks!

Render in place gives you more flexibility in terms of what is included in the bounce.

So, for example if another producer was going to be mixing a track you had composed. You could use render in place to bounce the instruments tracks in to audio tracks… with the resulting audio track having the bounced audio and the relevant insert vst you have used in the insert slots… ie not bounced in to the audio.

There’s a few bugs however with render in place… one of which is if you have multiple takes of midi it can get confused and try and bounces of them at once.

Thanks Manike - just to clarify, when you say it would have the relevant inserts in the insert slots rather than bounced into the audio itself, I’m assuming that this hypothetical producer would be using Cubase too? (this would not be possible if going to a different DAW would it?)

Also, my “Mix Down to One Track” option in the Render Settings is grayed out (disabled). Do you know why that is?

Yeah thats right - would only work if they had cubase and the same effect as you. Try it out… I use it because it remembers the fader position and the original audio level of the track… if you used bounce audio and your fader was down low, then you’re going to end with a new file thats very quiet, and you could start having audio fidelity problems.

The mix down to one track is for if you have multiple tracks selected… but it won’t work with the dry option selected because each channel could have different inserts etc.