Difference between the Mixer and the VST Mixer?

Hey everyone,

I actually got a question about the two different Mixer-Setting-Values, when i want to assign a Mixer-command to a MIDI-knob or a fader. There are two different availible Tab-Settings, which those i can´t find a difference between them. The VST Mixer- and the Mixer-Tab got the same Sub-Options, all Mixer-Settings are the same, even when I try it on an instrument track, there is no difference in ability.

Can someone tell me where is the difference and when should i use which Head-Option?

Thanks to all and for any response!

Hi,

Mixer contains MIDI tracks, VST Mixer doesn’t.

Thank you very much, Martin! so if i want to use/apply commands only to Audio-Tracks, i have to choose the VST Mixer-Option, or get i wrong? But if not, for what is the VST Mixer-Option than ment for?

Hi,

For Audio track, you can use both Mixer nad VST Mixer. It doesn’t matter.

The idea behind is (I would say more “was”) in the Mixer, there are all Channels, which are visible in MixConsole. In the VST Mixer, you should be able to see all VST busses. In fact, I would expect here even busses like Cues, Monitor, Phones, etc. But there are no these busses. :-/

You mean the VST Mixer is (should) be more for the Control Room and all Input-/Output-busses you got in the setting. but why Steinberg had not make clear one only complex Mixer-Setting, within you can choose which tracks and busses you want to apply for MIDI-commands?

I know it’s been a while but this is the first Google hit.
I know it’s been said differently elsewhere, but I did extensive testing of VST-Mixer and Mixer.

If you use VST-Mixer like this

VST Mixer : : Select <— BAD

Then when you do further Commands like

Command : Macro :

It will NOT work properly --every time–.
So instead Use:

Mixer : : Select <— GOOD

Now your macro, that is dependent on that track being selected, works every single time.

Another point about using macros through the Generic Remote

They seem to work better when the hardware controller is set to send a Note rather than a CC.
They also work better when the hardware controller is free of velocity. i.e. when the Minimum value for the Note is 127 and the Maximum is also 127.
The Generic Remote needs to be set for Note On, but if you just use the Learn checkbox it will default to Note Off.

So you have to set that up manually.

I hope this helps someone other than just me.

Hi,

This is very interesting, do you have an example, please?

Do you have an example, please? A concrete settings/use case, where does it work like this, please?

It’s not by default. But if you press and release the key, you send Note On and then Note Off. Therefore Note Off has been assigned. If you just press the key and switch the Learn function off, Note On MIDI Message has been assigned, as expected. The Learn function takes the last message, as expected.

I work with folders more in recording sessions. So The macro is as follows:
Track Versions - Select Tracks with Same Version ID
Edit - Monitor
Edit - Record Enable
Edit - Show Lanes

When Using VST Mixer to select it would often not Record Enable or Show Lanes or both, but not always.
Sometimes it wouldn’t select the other tracks, but would do the “edits” on the track selected.
Thats your UC… assuming you are dev.

I use to:

select previous (which would always be the folder since the selected was always at the top)
monitor
record enable
select next
select next
show lanes
edit vst
select previous
show lanes

that didn’t work reliably at all.

At first I thought I could just turn on Group Editing in the folder and then always select the first track and
monitor
record enable
show lanes
edit VSTis

-but Group Editing doesn’t seem to include the monitor and record enable. Works now though.You just have to select everything in the folder and make a new version to start with, then delete the first version before starting a new session from the template.

I have a separate macro that does both
edit VSTis
edit Chanel settings

and it works when all of the folder tracks are selected to show channel settings of the first track which is the audio track, and the VSTi from the second which is the midi track, or for Guitars, Drums etc. The Chanel settings from the first track which is a group track.
Thats an extra button press, but as it turns out it is easier to think about that way.