Difference of quality of VST instrument

Hi all

I am new to cubase and this question may be the simplest thing i could ever ask. But netherless, here I go.

I use the ‘create empty’ for a new project.
I add an Instrument track,
HS SE Library - Piano - Accoustic - {GM001 Accoustic Grand Piano]

Now, when i play the midi the sound of the organ is different from the sound when i click with mouse on the Halion Sonic SE window. Specific in the Halion Sonic SE Window, the sound is more clear and in higher volume. Similar happens on any kind of VST i choose. Its different in the Halion Sonic SE preview window (clicking with the mouse on the keyboard on that window) that playing with the midi.

Is anything I am doing wrong?

I use Cubase Elements 9.5

Perhaps you are not hitting the higher velocities that will make the sound louder and perhaps brighter.

You can try to play harder or maybe the keyboard velocity curve is adjustable…you can record some notes and then see what velocity they are in midi editor.

Hi Grim

So its a matter how i play the keys on my midi? Is any way to get directly the sound as it is in the Halion Sonic SE window by changing ‘something’?

What midi keyboard are you using??

The velocity of the note event generated (from the virtual ‘on-screen’ keyboard) depends on where you click on the key?

See page 15 at https://steinberg.help/halion_sonic_se/v3/en/HALion_Sonic_SE_3_Operation_Manual_en.pdf

…whereas, on the physical keyboard, the velocity of the note event depends on how hard/fast you press the key.

Or maybe your keyboard isn’t touch (velocity) sensitive, and therefore always sends the same value to the VST instrument?

@Grim I am using M-Audio Oxygen 49.

@paul I have to check about the click with the mouse in the virtual on-screen to be sure.
Its a bit dissapointing as the sound of the midi feels so dull instead the vivid sound on the virtual on-screen keyboard

I use the o49 and velocity is the issue. Make sure tye midi notes 100

It shouldn’t! Unless you’re very light fingered on your keyboard! Your keyboard is fully velocity sensitive so the sound should react to how hard you press the keys and this should sound the same as playing on the virtual keys.

You can change the velocity sensitivity of this keyboard. Check the manual for instructions.

Heya and thanks for the replies

I will check it asap when I return and I will inform you. I hope thats the problem. Thanks all for your advices

Yes it worked!

It was c.2 the setting and i put it on F.2 (100%) as you suggested.
Thanks a lot all for your suggestion and help.

Here is a guide how to do it for others who have the same problem
http://community.m-audio.com/m-audio/topics/need-advice-about-how-to-set-velocity-curve-on-oxygen-88

You can also increase/decrease/compress/expand the velocity curve in the CuBase track inspector.

Noticed the same thing. I don’t want to set my midi controller to a fixed value. I noticed I don’t have that problem with spitfire libraries, or any other Kontakt, etc. libraries. I didn’t try other Halion SE patches so maybe it’s just piano. Did you find a solution other than setting your kybd to a fixed vale

I had much the same issue so picked up a new MIDI Keyboard with good vel and aftertouch. Sadly its not got as many keys, but the one I really wanted is around $1000 at present, so thats going to have to wait.
With my old keyboard, all notes sounded the same, and often not very nice as I think they came in at all 127. Kind of like bashing on a piano. It will make noise but often nothing much you want to listen to.

Rather than setting MIDI velocities to fixed values (which will suck all subtlety and expression out of your performances), you could use the MIDI Compressor plugin (see page 196 in the Cubase Plug In Reference Manual) that comes with Cubase to boost your overall MIDI velocity without losing expression.

But as @Jim_Towler said, you really should get a MIDI controller that is a good fit to your playing style.

Sorry for responding so late. The funny thing is with my keyboard I have no problem with any of my other programs for example spitfire or kontact. I think it’s a cubase program problem. I can set velocity curves on my keyboard, but it still does not give me the brightness when entering notes that I’ll get by using the program keyboard. Again, I don’t use their program much so it’s not a big game changer for me. Take care and thank you again for responding.
Mike Warren