Differences between Cubase & Cubase AI

Hi community

Can anyone tell me the difference between Cubase & Cubase AI? I know, AI is an OEM and comes with hardware. What I want to know is the difference in content, like features or plugins.

I already own Cubase 7 Artist and plan on purchasing a Steinberg UR-22, which contains Cubase 7 AI. All I need to know is the difference and compatibility between those two, in case I install AI on a second pc. Will I be missing plugins or filters that are not contained in AI?

THX!

There are probably too msny to mention. Download the msnual and compare the festures you want.

Great idea, but which manual??? Is there a manual for AI??? Can you give me a link?

A ok… think I found it.

Hi c14agi,

we have a feature comparison list on our website exactly for that:

The manuals are probably too much for such an easy question.

Regards

Thanks Luis.

I certainly know this chart but it doesn’t say “AI” anywhere. I also got the manual and on the front page it says “for Elements, AI & LE”. Is AI the same as Elements?

c14agi,
I can’t answer your question (about the features of AI) but AI is a free version that comes with hardware just to allow “use” of the hardware. I can almost guarantee it will not have all the plug-ins, content, and features that Artist has. I recommend you make your decision about the UR-22 based on the features of the UR-22 and not based on the features of the free software that comes with it (i.e. don’t buy a computer based on the pre-installed software that comes with it). More importantly, you have Artist, which uses a dongle. In case you do install Cubase on a second PC, why not install Artist on it?
HTH
J.L.

I sure decided to get the UR-22 based on the hardware features. I didn’t even know, that AI comes with it, first. This would be just a nice cherry on top.
I was also thinking of installing “Artist” on the Laptop (my second pc), but wouldn’t I need a second license for that? Or would a second USB-dongle do???
I wouldn’t use the laptop for full productions, but just for vocal recordings or arrangement when on the road.

You don’t need another license OR another dongle…
That is the advantage of the dongle. You can install Cubase Artist on all of your computers and just move the dongle to the one you want to work on.

J.L.

hm… makes sense. Thanks for that info.

Hi
I have same question: Is Cubase 7 AI the same as Cubase 7 Elements? I want to purchase some audio interface - Steinberg UR44 (which contains Cubase 7 AI), or any other interface (not Steinberg) and Cubase 7 Elements separately.

Thanks

No -hence the different names…

I also have the same question (also considering purchasing the UR44).
Does anyone actually know the differences between AI and Elements?
Steinberg’s caginess on the issue makes me suspect there are none other than the name.
Does anybody know otherwise? (other than from hearsay)

And other than the name the difference is…

Thanks

Missing features in AI listed in the manual, as written earlier…

Thanks. I admit I didn’t read it all, but both versions share the same manual.
I will check tomorrow if it specifies features by version.

OK, I looked at the manual and the differences are clearly listed throughout.
Thank you.

This is something I’ve wondered as well (LE vs. AI vs. Elements). The Cubase AI Feature Comparison page is two generations out of date.

After looking at the manuals, the order of Cubase versions, in terms of completeness/functionality is:

1. Cubase
  2. Cubase Artist
  3. Cubase Elements
  4. Cubase AI
  5. Cubase LE

In terms of core functionality of the DAW environment, Cubase AI and LE appear to be the same (and both are more limited than Elements in this regard).

The main difference between AI and LE appears to be that AI includes several plugins that LE does not. And Elements includes some plugins that neither AI or LE have.

So, AI has more plugins than LE does, and Elements has more plugins, more features, and fewer restrictions than both of them.