Different dynamics on each repeat

I have a passage of music enclosed by repeat bars, which I’d like to mark mp for the first time, and f for the second. In other words, mf-f.

After searching the forum, it seems like Dorico can’t yet fully handle that (as in, it’s not a feature that’s supported across all modes including playback). What’s the workaround? I saw someone say I could enter it as text, but I’m not sure how to do that. I’d want it to be attached to the first note, and not as a lyric (obviously).

You can simply type mf-f into the dynamics popover. It won’t play back correctly, but the score will be right. I think there’s an option to have the hyphen or not somewhere - probably in Engraving Options or the property panel (I’m not in front of Dorico right now)

1 Like

One could create mf-f as an expression to make things easier and more consistent if one needs to enter it multiple times.

Of course it will not (as yet) play back, as Leif said.

1 Like

This is exactly what I’d like to do, but I can’t figure out how to replicate the fonts of the default dynamic markings – when I try this, mine look like general italicized text. See:

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 5.12.07 PM

You can use combined dynamics for this (see also here).

1 Like