Different font weights in PDF exports

I wouldn’t count on installing CS1, lol. CS5 won’t even run on my computer anymore (granted it’s a Mac, but still).

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but IIRC the fonts are all on the “Resources and Extras” CDs. He wouldn’t need to bother with the installer, just go to those CDs to access whatever fonts he wants to install.

You can still install pretty much any Windows software that was released for Windows XP and later (which takes you back to August 2001). Earlier Windows installers don’t work because they were 16-bit software, not even 32-bit! In fact a lot of software released for XP will still run on modern 64 bit Windows systems.

Microsoft does backwards compatibility. Apple doesn’t.

Dan, alternatively, you might be able to find another font that is very similar on google fonts. Here’s an article outlining a few similar alternatives: Minion alternatives | Butterick’s Practical Typography

:laughing: I actually really like Minion. I think I first really became actively aware of it when it was the main typeface used in Robert Bringhurst’s great book Elements of Typographic Style. The author at that link does have a point though, it is a bit ubiquitous nowadays, but probably not as much in music publishing as other types of publishing.

Over the past ten years I have generated probably 5,000 PDFs that use Minion Pro. I’m not switching, even if it’s close!!

Certainly on the Mac side, the Fonts are a separate installer (even if you have to go looking for them deep in sub-folders) that continues to work long after the main installer application becomes incompatible.

It’s certainly worth throwing a small amount of money at an old disk just to get the fonts.

…and if you find there are a few Minion variants you need that aren’t bundled, you can buy them individually for a relatively sensible amount of money.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. You learn something new every day…